Curved Walls

A place to discuss basic walling techniques

Curved Walls

Postby Axonides » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:00 am

For my first project I want to build a 20m long curving (in and out - or crinkle-crankle, as it's known) wall about 1 - 1.5 meters high on a rocky, slowly increasing slope - from zero to about 20 degrees.
Oh, and it's a retaining wall, with a 40 degree slope behind and above it. Oh, and it's in a mountainous region of Andalucia, which has almost no flat bits and it's 25 degrees today (28th de Octubre).
Any ideas, apart from DON'T? That is not an option. I'm doing this whether you like it or not. I'm 65; I don't listen to negatives any more.
I have the stone to start (only 6 tonnes) - it's 2 inch thick slate with one smooth and one rough side. I can put up photos of the site and stone later.
I thought of marking the route with hosepipe anchored in place with short lengths of steel rebar, as that's the only thing you can hammer into the ground to any depth. But then how do you string a curve accurately?

Regards to All (Very) Dry Stone Wallers,

Dave
Axonides

Re: Curved Walls

Postby david perry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:17 pm

You could also use thin bits of wood (5 - 8 mm X 75mm ) such as you might use here for cladding inside a house.
They obviously need to be as long as you can purchase, and quite flexible. Stake these into position and they'll nicely flow into curves for you.

That said, you could also use long bits of plastic cladding or anything that is relatively stiff/bendy to mark out the ground
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi Dave, you do not need to use a stringline at all. You just place your foundation stones in place so that the walling edge of the faces follows the curves you desire. Once the footings are in for the whole length of the wall, working uphill, all you need to do is to build each course of the wall using your EYES to make sure each course follows the curves of the footings.
I wouldn't advise putting lots of stakes in to give you your line. Your hosepipe idea should work fine enough.

Erect the wall in short (1 to 2 metres at a time) keeping all your courses running horizontally, and make sure that the stones go lengthwise into the wall and not sideways on. Also beware of using long front faced stones on any of the curved bits, they can easily send you off line giving flat bits on curves ( as can the use of stringlines).

If you just use your eyes and are honest with yourself (ie if it doesn't look right it probably isn't. I wouldn't worry about batter frames as they are useless on curves. It is nearly impossible to build a vertical faced wall, your danger would be putting too much batter on. You can decide the batter you need and can buy a long bubble level, set it to the batter you need and use it.

A couple of photos of the site would help.
I too live and work in a mountainous region of England, The Lake District, and I can't remember the last wall we built that was on flat land with no curves. I just love building curved walls going up steep hillsides.

Have a happy positive walling time.
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Axonides » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks guys, that's great stuff, especially as I was about to start constructing an A-Frame, and wondering how I was going to use it... :roll:
I've just taken some photos of the site and stone and will upload them later.

Dave
Axonides

Return to Walling Basics