Batter

A place to discuss basic walling techniques

Batter

Postby waller 69 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:53 pm

It may not be a "basic rule" but I believe a wall(dsw) is better for it, what do you think??
I have repaired walls with no batter but it tends to be repairs to repairs....( makes me think something has been missed, so I take more care with these walls)
A new wall built by me always has some batter, its more stable!!
what do others think??
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Batter

Postby bricksetter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi Kev,
This has just popped in to my head as a question, when building to a batter, how would you determine the batter to the height, by eye?, or try to keep it in proportion, and would you agree, :D :D
bricksetter
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi John, by eye every day of the week, if it looks right it probably is right as they say :D :D I was lucky enough to get a copy of Stonework from Sean Adcock which explains it to some extent but It was the only bit of a very well written book I found confusing....
The only time I ever need a Tape is for quotes.....
There are only three things anyone needs to become a good waller, A good eye, a good back and a real interest :lol: :lol:
Hope that helps a little..
Kev
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:52 pm

"Cross section of wall" Fig.2. p.15 "Techniques & Traditions", Hand on heart, does that look right to you???
Nige, if you have any way to graft the image here, I will be in your dept....
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Happy to help, where am I looking for this?
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bricksetter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:00 pm

waller 69 wrote:Hi John, by eye every day of the week, if it looks right it probably is right as they say :D :D I was lucky enough to get a copy of Stonework from Sean Adcock which explains it to some extent but It was the only bit of a very well written book I found confusing....
The only time I ever need a Tape is for quotes.....
There are only three things anyone needs to become a good waller, A good eye, a good back and a real interest :lol: :lol:
Hope that helps a little..
Kev

Sound advice there, and i will search the internet for a copy of the book. :D :)

Building the batter i would also build this by eye and hand, i have said in another thread, i would not want to use profiles, unless the client specified they wanted it to match a stupidly straight stonewall they already had, i think,?. would you wall across from one end up a foot while overlapping and carry on going?. :D
bricksetter
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:45 am

Nige, any sketch of a cross section of wall showing batter will do, the one I was referring to was in Seans booklet but I think it originated from a dswa book..
Sorry to be so vague, my wife is cleaning the house from top to bottom ready for Christmas, so the booklets gone missing :roll: I was lucky to find the laptop..
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby bricksetter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:35 pm

waller 69 wrote:my wife is cleaning the house from top to bottom ready for Christmas, so the booklets gone missing :roll: I was lucky to find the laptop..

Hahah, :D :)
bricksetter
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to Walling Basics