Price of paddlestone walling

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Price of paddlestone walling

Postby Galinsky7 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:41 am

We need to put in a retaining wall in our garden. Construction will be concrete raft foundation, then concrete block 1 metre high x 4 m length of wall. The blockwork will be faced up with paddlestone laid as dry stone effect on its side, fixed in place with sand and cement from the rear and joints raked out. We've been given an eye-watering price (out of the question). Before we abandon the idea, can you give me any rough idea of what the cost should be of that (we are located in Kent so I realise prices are higher often here + travel might be involved). Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Galinsky7

Re: Price of paddlestone walling

Postby Galinsky7 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:53 am

Anyone any rough ideas what paddlestone walling costs per metre (labour + materials)? Thanks
Galinsky7

Postby david perry » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 pm

I've got no idea what paddlestone walling is, but the method was/is widely used when I lived in Eire. (Block+cavity+block + 10" foundation for stonework)

I wasn't particularly fast and on a good day could manage about 4 to 6 sq. Metres. More experienced lads were managing a little more. Compared to drystone walling its relatively easy.

Builders were charging customers around 40 - 60 euro per square meter ten years ago, but the price may have gone down since the Celtic Tiger went down and resulted in a collapse of the economy - built on house building!!l. That price did not include stone!!!, A mixer full of mortar did about 1 sq meter of work.

From my notes made at the time in Eire, 2.5 square meters of wall takes about 1 ton of stone. I just happened to be in my local quarry this morning and the owner quoted me around £50 per ton for stone excluding delivery.

Hope this helps.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Galinsky7 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks ever so much - any info like that is really helpful. Much appreciated
Galinsky7

Postby bloop » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:10 am

Hello,

Like David, I too have never heard of paddlestone. I looked it up and found expensive stone tumbled to give round edges similar to river pebbles. I have often used the technique you described for walls where there was not enough stone for a double sided wall. There is no need to rake out the joints as the mortar should not be laid near the face of the wall. The stones are mortared in at the rear and held by the way they are laid and normal brick ties fitted into the block work. PS remember to ask for weep holes if retaining an earth bank.

When you said the quote was somewhat excessive you didn't say whether it was for labour only or included supply of all materials etc. Is the proposed wall retaining or free standing? What sort of price were you quoted for a concrete footing and four square metres of blockwork faced with paddlestone?

Often stated in the past on this forum and elsewhere - there is no going rate. However living in Kent what you may have to pay for is something out of the norm for the area. Look for a builder who mentions stonework in their adverts and ask to see photos of previous work.

Good luck
bloop
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby david perry » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:10 pm

It really makes little difference for the small amount of wall you've got to do what the stone is anyway. As bloop says the mortar should be almost invisible. We used to use a one inch paint brush. Rake out anything obvious with the handle and then brush anything else off withe brush. We always made the mortar mix relatively dry - about the same texture as the crumble mix in pastry! It should not be wet like bricklayers use or it will go everywhere and stain.

It would be helpful if we knew how much you were being charged too.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion