Field Corners

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Field Corners

Postby sphill25 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:43 am

A question I hope you can answer for me: Why do the corners of fields have a triangular area walled off?

I live in Aberdeenshire, and have noticed that at the corners of fields there is usually a small group of trees within a tringular areathat is walled in by stone walls. There are no gates into the area, sometimes some garbage, and often some large stones. it seems like a lot of wasted space that could be farmed, so I am wondering why it is left. I thought maybe it was just a place to store extra rubble, but there isn't always rubble there. I also wondered if it is just a way to preserve some trees for wildlife? Anyway, figured that if anyone knew it would be the DSWA!
sphill25

Re: Field Corners

Postby jerryg » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:13 am

I can't speak for Aberdeenshire but down here in the Duddon Valley in Cumbria you will find many instances of either huge fat walls, or walled off corners and properly built stone pillars in the middle of fields. These are places where the farmers of the past, as they cleared the fields, using up the stone they dug up by making these huge walls. Maybe this is what they did up your way, but built walled off corners instead. Maybe the trees came later as seed blown in. Trees and walls don't mix well. Are the trees older or younger than the walls?

It is only nowadays that walls are looked upon as being built for conservation purposes. They were not built for this purpose, they were built to enclose land, stop animals straying, or as ramparts/barriers for whatever was behind them. If flora and fauna move into after building that is just nature doing what it does.
I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Field Corners

Postby George Gunn » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:49 pm

Quite often, trees grow in walled areas as thats the only place that the sheep won't eat them. That's why you often see trees growing out of ruined buildings on farmland.
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion