Where to start

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Where to start

Postby 97browng » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Hello DSWA,

I was hoping someone on this forum could help. We moved into a new property about 5 months ago and it has a dry stone wall at the back. The wall is about 16m long and backs onto a wooded farmland area.

The wall looks in a poor state and parts of it have fallen down. In fact a fortnight ago another bit of the wall collapsed so it obviously needs some work done to it. We have a young child so really do need to get it sorted. We are having the rest of the garden done and the landscaper has said the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to remove the wall completely and replace with a fence. As he will have the digger there he can do it quite easily.

We really don't want to do that so he said he could knock the wall down and push it back a bit and leave the stone there for someone else to fix.

I don't know where to start with regards to getting it repaired or rebuilt. So firstly is knocking it down ok or is it a big no no, and will it end up either damaging the stone or costing far more to sort in the future.

Then who should I contact regarding this? Is it just a case of searching google or is there somewhere else to go?

Finally what sort of cost do you think I will be looking at (I know you cant be precise). I have looked on the internet and apparently there might be some grant available as a contribution to it's repair, anyone know anything about this?

The house is in Rhondda Cynon Taff in South Wales. I have picture of the wall here https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlgaXosc6WIRixpzAHLZn1SjNlzx?e=hzGtfT (I can get better ones and more precise measurements later).

Thanks in advance
Gary
97browng

Re: Where to start

Postby bloop » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:31 am

Hello,

You are on the website of the DSWA. Look for contractors in South Wales. There is no going rate for walling so choose somebody and ask if they would give you a quote for rebuilding the wall - you should have the present specifications, height and length to hand. If this is too expensive get your landscaper to pull it down and erect a fence instead. Remember a well built wall will last for many years with minimum maintenance but wooden fences require treating every year and typically come with a ten year guarantee. There are no grants for garden walls. Your choice
bloop
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Return to General Discussion