These boots are made for walling

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

These boots are made for walling

Postby Les Maxwell » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Like a lot of Wallers I have tried a range of boots over the years and this is a brief review of boots I have used.

A lot of Wallers use the Muck boot range of wellies these have a neoprene lining that keep your feet warm as well as being waterproof. I think these are very good if you work in very wet conditions but not ideal for all year round use.

I think if your clamber over stone you need boots with ankle supports as it is easy to twist your ankle this is the reason I have not tried a pair of Rigger boots.

I have tried a couple of pair of the lightweight hiker boots these are comfortable but soon loose their waterproof coating even reproofing with nikwax fails to keep out the damp. I think the problem is that they are constructed of to many components with plenty of seams that let moisture in but are fine in dry conditions

The best boots I have tried are Buckler B750SMWP www.bucklerboots.com these are leather boots and are 100% waterproof I have owned 2 pair of these and are very hard wearing and made of high quality supple leather.

The old adage buy “cheap buy twice” certainly to footwear. I try to buy 2 pair and wear them on alternate days.

This is my view only I would welcome views of other Wallers on what type of boots they wear and would recommend in particular if you have found any hiker type boots that are waterproof.

Cheers
Les
Les Maxwell
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Re: These boots are made for walling

Postby Shirley M Addy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Les
I use two types of boots. One pair is steel-toe capped wellingtons (which also has concaves for ankle bones) - I don't know what brand they are, as they were given to me, but they are of the farming/agricultural labourer type. I use these for wet days or when I know the ground is likely to be messy. They can be too warm in the hot weather.
The other pair is Bantam leather steel-toe capped tie-lace rambling-book types. I got those from a short-lease shop selling reminder items as I thought they were cheap (£25). One of the metal hooks for the laces have broken off, but it doesn't effect them.
I once had a pair of De Walt (around £36) black rambling-type boots which were really cosy - the sort you could take to bed. Alas, the stitching perished after a few years and started to leak.
When I first took up walling I used my rambling boots but I'd not recommend doing so for your favourite boots as the toe can get scruffed.
The sort of boot that I've not tried are the sandy-coloured, mid-calf, pull-on types.
Shirley
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby stonedyker@talk21.com » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm probably speaking to the converted, go to builder's merchants for footwear. They will have brands and styles which don't get into conventional shoe outlets, and there will be a reasonable guarantee with them. My latest purchase has a six month guarantee for soles and lace holes which is not bad.

Another place worth trying is GO outdoors - http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk
All the big brands are there but the prices are cheaper.

Treat leather boots with Neatsfoot oil, it keeps the boots supple, warm and waterproof.

I reckon two years is as much wear as you'll get out of one pair of boots if worn continuously.
stonedyker@talk21.com
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Hairydude » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:32 am

I would also recommend buckler for work footwear. I wear the B420 leather lace up boots with steel midsole and toe caps. They are more comfortable than my considerably more expensive hiking boots and have stood up well to everything thrown at them in 18months. As a comparison the dewalt workboots I had previously were very comfortable but didn't last as well as the bucklers.

I also have a pair of the buckboots S5 wellies which are amazing. They are extremely comfortable and the neoprene lining means they are very warm in winter. They're breathable but still too warm for summer use. I gave my dad a pair (he's a retired farmer) and he can't believe how much wellie technology has changed!

buckler have their shop close to me in Dundee so I found them by accident but they have a website and seem to have a very good reputation. All reasonably priced and I couldn't recommend them highly enough.
Hairydude
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby maxmumford » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:38 pm

I use German military para boots which are gortex lined. I bought them second hand from a army supply shop. I have not bought anything else since. However if it's not raining I wear trainers as I can move faster.
maxmumford

Postby jerryg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Hoggs

I had a pair for so long that they bent into my walking foot shape so I sort of rolled along. I find Bucklers too heavy.
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby stonedyker@talk21.com » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:11 pm

I heard a story about Hoggs of Fife. One of their cobblers was retiring and was surprised to find that the last pair of boots he would work on were one of the first pairs he had made. I believe the best Hoggs boots were made from horse hide.
stonedyker@talk21.com
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Les Maxwell » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks for the information

I will try the neatsfoot oil

Hairydude The muckboots seem the same design as the buckbootz not sure what the difference is except you can get a trendy blue colour with an orange trim in the buckbootz.

Jerry G The Bucklers are heavy but they have a steel toe cap and mid sole, I think some manufactures have switched to plastic safety toes to keep costs and weight down.

The Englebert Strauss Company www.engelbert-strauss.co.uk/supplies a wide range of footwear & work wear but I am a bit reluctant to buy boots on line as you need to try them for size and also see what the quality is like.

Anyone have any info on their hiker type safety boots

Cheers

Les
Les Maxwell
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby Jhon Miller » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:10 pm

A walking boot can add value while chopping the material you used while playing with the hiking.
Jhon Miller

Return to General Discussion