Help / information required.

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Help / information required.

Postby Geroid McMahuna » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Hello to everyone.
My name is Gerald, I am 47 and have recently joined this site.
Firstly I should state that I have never built a wall in my life and then inform everyone as to my dilemma. My wife and I have recently relocated from the city to a small town in the Wyre Forest District, Worcestershire. Whilst waiting to move, my wife and I became very excited and continually discussed the changes that we were going to make to our new home. One of these changes was to have a wall at the front of our property, followed by two smaller walls along either side of our drive way (enclosing an embankment) so that we could replace the drive itself. I then started to look at wall designs on the internet. This is when it happened, I discovered dry stone walls.
Since then I have became obsessed with dry stone walls and continually read up on the subject and even watched every YouTube video on walling. It has got to the point where my wife is threatening to put a stone in my mouth before we go to bed. Has anyone read the article by the Daily Mail on the sheep farmer in Wiltshire that spent 11 years building a hobbit house from stone?
Here is my problem, after all my research and building up the confidence to do it, I now find that I am actually to scared to do it (I would not want a wall that I built to fall down and injure someone).
Is there anyone out there that knows of anyone nearish to my location that could use a little help in building or repairing a wall. I believe that by offering a free pair of extra hands I could learn a little bit from someone that actually knows what they are doing before attempting my own.
If so, my gloves and boots are on and I am ready for action.
Thank you,
Gerald.
Geroid McMahuna

Re: Help / information required.

Postby Nigel » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi Gerald,

Yes I have seen the Hobbit house in question, dont go looking for it though, the Farmer is a little fed up with people on his land, just this year I have built 7' walls to keep out the tourists. The place is dangerous.

Okay, along with finding a friendly waller to come out with, another option maybe to spend £70.00 or so and come on a SWEDSWA course just down the road from you, the Cotswolds run courses as well. In just 2 days you will learn the basics and it wont cost you a fortune. Look around though as prices can vary hugely, some organisations courses are run for profit so again look around, the DSWA branch courses plough their money back into the DSWA to continue their good work.

http://www.swedswa.org.uk/?page_id=27

If there are any other Branches out there reading this, pop your price below so Gerald can get in touch.

DSWA course only here I think on this DSWA funded forum.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help / information required.

Postby Geroid McMahuna » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi Nigel,
thank you for the swift reply. I went straight to the link that you sent me and had a quick look. I believe that you are right, a two day course seems to be the best option for me at present. I am going to go straight back to the site now and have an in depth look at the courses, I just wanted to say thanks for your help.
Regarding the hobbit house you are absolutely right. As much as I would truly love to take a stroll around the place as I find it stunning, I would never enter private land without the owners permission. I go metal detecting occasionally and have always asked the owners permission to use the land first. I would not want strangers walking through my front garden. :)
Once again thanks,
Gerald.
Geroid McMahuna

Return to General Discussion