Mortar on copes? Two skin gritstone wall with lime mortar

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Mortar on copes? Two skin gritstone wall with lime mortar

Postby Jules B » Thu May 26, 2016 8:44 pm

Not exactly dry stone walling this but I'd be very grateful for views from anyone who's been involved in similar...

I recently built a circular raised bed at home using a bit of gritstone. The ground slopes with the wall only being two foot above ground at the highest point. There's another 9 inches or so of coping stones on top of that. At the lowest point only the coping stones are above ground. I built it with two mortared skins of stone with hearting in the middle. The mortar is NHL 3.5. Both skins sit on the same foundation which is the usual dry stone foundation. Outer skin is decent sized stones - inner skin(in contact with soil in bed) is smaller stones and only 4-5 inches thick at the top).

I can't decide whether to mortar the copes on or whether to leave them un-mortared. I'm tempted to put the copes on a bed of mortar on the basis that will reduce water getting in between the skins, hold the two skins together (there are no throughs) and normally mortared walls would probably have mortared copes so perhaps better to stick to a consistent style.

Anyone done anything similar? Would you bother mortaring the copes?

Grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

Jules
Jules B

Re: Mortar on copes? Two skin gritstone wall with lime morta

Postby jerryg » Fri May 27, 2016 8:38 am

Since the wall is in your garden and only 1 to 3 foot high what would happen if someone sat on the wall? or a child tried to climb on it or up it? with a loose cope they may fall off.

Mortar them on. Keeps the weather out, and will be not need repairing or fall on the kids.

I wouldn't worry about asking about mortar walling on a dry stone walling website, there will not be many professional dry stone wallers who do not build mortar walls when required.
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Jules B » Fri May 27, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks Jerry! Appreciate being able to run something like this past someone who's obviously been around walling a while! I'll get them mortared on.
Jules B

Postby Nigel » Sat May 28, 2016 7:25 am

Hi, yes, I agree with Jerry.

Thanks Jerry,

Nigel.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Discussion