Northstone Stonefest

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Northstone Stonefest

Postby jim scott » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Recently attended this first ever stone festival in the UK, Brilliantly run by George Gunn and his partner Sue,super weekend ,with a fabulous circle seat ,built for the local community,best of all to meet dykers/wallers from all over the UK and Ireland,plus Ray Stockhill ?,anyway Ray chair of the DSWA,nice to see a chairperson who is interested in things that are organised outwith the central hub of the DSWA,you did a brill job there Ray,with him even chasing down a Belguin couple who were very interested in the walling and presenting the with a DSWA callander,but a lot of interest from locals and holiday makers alike,so bring it on next year and if I don't get a room in the Ferry am no comin,thanks to all who took part, enjoyed yer company :lol: :lol: :lol:
jim scott
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Northstone Stonefest

Postby George Gunn » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks , Jim. It was good to see you again . Yes, everyone had a fantastic time, the Craic was brilliant ! As you say, it was good to have the DSWA Chairman attend . On a motorbike as well . Great !
It was a fun event, I'm glad so many people attended and enjoyed themselves and saw the wonderful scenery up here. I hope to see some more next year .

A few people have commented on how well organised it was for a first festival in the UK - but to me , it's just another of the dozens of community stonework projects I've organised, but with a different name - Festival !

The hard work was raising funding and sponsorship . It was a year of planning and six months of paperwork.The amount of work involved in funding was about 200% more than I imagined.

I set up all the social media sites then thankfully had volunteers in to run it . Applied for all the funding, Insurance etc. It was a real learning curve.

Luckily my partner Sue helped out in the weeks leading up to the event, putting posters out and helping with admin.

As a non profit, voluntary group, I hope to attract some more helpers next year.
I'm still trying to catch up on work after taking time off !!

Thanks to everyone who took part and helped out. You are stars !

There are pics here -

https://ns58.org/

https://www.facebook.com/Northstone58/
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Northstone Stonefest

Postby George Gunn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:14 pm

PS. Sorry about the gales on Friday, Jim ! I hope your tent is in one piece ! I'll keep you in mind for a discounted room next year ! HaHa !
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion