Legal protection of dry stone walls

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Legal protection of dry stone walls

Postby hks199 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi, does anyone know how much legal protection there is for existing dry stone walls?
I am only aware of GAEC 13, which does not include much detail. As part of a new housing site, nearby developer is proposing to take down sections of dry stone wall and rebuild with "mortar joints to safeguard the general public". I know that it is allowable to take down stone walls to build a new one, but I would have thought that adding mortar would prevent the wall from providing a habitat for nature, which is partly why dry stone walls are protected.
My concern is that what is currently rural land with dry stone wall will end up being a densely packed urban site with some token remnants of dry stone wall left, which will not provide any ecological benefit.
Thanks in advance.
hks199

Re: Legal protection of dry stone walls

Postby Nigel » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:25 am

Thanks for your question, I am not too sure myself, you may have to wait a while for the right person to read your question and reply.

Thanks again
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Legal protection of dry stone walls

Postby david perry » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:34 pm

If you are in a National Park there is some protection of DSW but the protection is varied and much depends on the wall.

If the landowner hass it registered under the Stewardship scheme there is also a level of protection.

Other than that unless the wall is of historic value and as such a protected (listed) structure then I don't think there's much else.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion