Domestic Dry Stone Wall Quandary

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Domestic Dry Stone Wall Quandary

Postby Nantucketsue » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:14 am

The deeds of my house clearly define the perimeter where the dry stone wall is located as being part of my property. A stretch of the wall has been badly neglected over the years and in bad condition, partially I suspect due to the roots of enormous conifers and other very large shrubs and bushes located behind it, which I have subsequently had cut down, thus reducing the security and privacy of the garden which goes around the side of the house. The area bounds a "no through road" and public footpath, which schoolchildren use. I dared not disturb the roots as this would not only have caused the wall to fall down, but would have lifted the tarmac on the other side. My husband is permanently disabled and has dementia and I am his full time carer, so I do not have a lot of time and needed a solution that would be easy to maintain. I decided to remove the wall and erect a fence where the wall had been located in line with the existing part of the wall which curves into my driveway, then rebuild the dry stone wall, albeit lower and thicker, inside the fence, as this was safer for the children and it does look much better. A neighbour who works for an estate agent has told me I should have erected the fence in the middle of the wall because part of it comes under the local council's ownership. I disputed this on the basis that there is no indication of this on the deeds. It is the retaining wall and therefore my responsibility. I spoke to someone in the planning department, and although he said he did not understand why the neighbour had made this assumption he would get someone to give me a call. I am extremely upset by this and I am now in fear that I could be in breach of planning law and be told to take the fence down, In the meantime, the fence is only temporarily stable as I cannot have it concreted in until I know one way of the other Please does anyone have any knowledge about this situation?
Nantucketsue

Re: Domestic Dry Stone Wall Quandary

Postby Nantucketsue » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:00 pm

An update on my previous posting. I received a call from the Planning Officer today who emphatically confirmed that the neighbour, who apparently claims to be a Land Surveyor was totally wrong and that I was fully entitled to build a 3 metre fence if I wanted to as the adjoining area was no more than a public footpath. Needless to say this was Music to my Ears after a sleepless night fretting and worrying that the whole fence would have to come down. The neighbour's first words to me were " that won't be standing there much longer" and then proceeded to read me the Riot Act. I can't wait for him to approach me again. His arrogance was unbelievable.
Nantucketsue

Re: Domestic Dry Stone Wall Quandary

Postby Nigel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:33 am

Its very difficult for anybody to comment on a issue like this as these things are usually complicated, I am happy to hear things are going in the right direction for you.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Discussion