Small landscaping retaining (terrace) wall

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Small landscaping retaining (terrace) wall

Postby La Croix des vents » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:23 pm

Hello.
I am new to this forum and to walling and eager to get started on my first project.
I am in the process of building a pool house extension and there is some landscaping required which involves some small stone walls (0.50m in height).
The property is a rubble stone built farm house in France and there are someday stone terraces (restanques) on the property andI am keen use dry stone walling techniques where and whenever possible.
The builder who is helping me with the pool house extension has suggested a stepped concrete footing (there is a change in height starting at 17cm where there is a step growing to 50cm at the other end) and the use of some cement mortar to build the wall, like I said I am keen to build the wall using traditional walling techniques, but it will be my first attempt. The wall will be retaining new fill.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you advance
Regards
Bryan
La Croix des vents

Re: Small landscaping retaining (terrace) wall

Postby david perry » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Welcome to the forum

Using traditional drystone wall construction for your restanques will probably be a little harder for someone without experience than doing what the builder suggests -= using stepped concrete footings and using mortar to build the wall is in my opinion slightly easier.

If you use mortar you can make sure it isn't too visible by only using the mortar at the rear of the stones and/or using a small 30 cm paint brush to brush out the visible mortar in the gaps between the stones.

However, 50cm isn't too big, and you can always have a go using traditional methods without mortar using string to make sure you get the level correct
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Small landscaping retaining (terrace) wall

Postby La Croix des vents » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Dear David,
Thanks for your reply.
Regards
Bryan
La Croix des vents