New starter - whats the reality please?

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

New starter - whats the reality please?

Postby Darren Richmond » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi

I've literally just started to pursue a career in walling and very keen to start earning some money.
One area I'm really struggling with is how to actually look for work! I'll obviously establish a website,
print flyers, business cards etc, but are there any portals where jobs are posted please, are there any
organisations (National Trust, English Heritage for example) who advertise jobs/requests for wallers?

I'm sure theres a ridiculous amount of demand for wallers and I heard that people are booked for months
or even years! Is that true? If so, how do I make contact/get a start please?

I'm worried it may be a bit of a 'closed shop', and if I'm not in the right circles I won't get anywhere......

Would love some advice to get me started please and really appreciate the help :-)

Darren
Darren Richmond

Re: New starter - whats the reality please?

Postby Nigel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:42 am

Hi Darren,

Its the same as any business, I am sure you have done your research and you have found a need for a waller like yourself in your area. Advertising, websites and flyers work fine, I am not too sure its a closed shop, but a lot of the organisations you mentioned will have a relationship with wallers that they have been working with for years.

Some wallers are booked for months, a few for years, others are looking for work and can undertake work in less than a month or a week around here.

I treat getting work as work, its all part of it, every job or repair is a job interview.

You will be fine, it would be no different if you were starting any business, its hard work starting up.

good luck.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby david perry » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:21 pm

I returned to the UK after living for 10 years in Eire.

So from scratch:-[url][/url]

a) a small website/blog http://www.wallsandhedges.blogspot.co.uk
b) a small ad in our local free paper - the one most of the local farmers and locals read.
c) a few 'small ads in rural shops, farmers stores.
d) Went and visited two or three of my nearest competitors just to see how things lay.
e) Got a van and my details on the side, used it for most of my local trips around the area

Then:-
a) Farmer contacted me, saying that one of those wallers had passed on my details (I later found out that the waller had work coming out of his ears)
b) Someone with a wall around their property wanted it repaired - they'd read my small ad in paper.
c) A few other small local jobs came up - result of seeing my van and small ad in paper.
d) Another farmer who I'd chatted to in the pub asked me to fix a fairly long length of wall - 400 yards. Then the 1st farmer contacted me and gave me ....Oh, two stretches of wall to fix - probably half a mile!! This was a farmer with a very fussy reputation but I got on well with him and from this I know that my name was mentioned to other farmers.
e) And so it picked up...... I stopped advertising, except my blogspot and the van. Although by the time I'd done a few of the longer bits of work I'd enough work/income, so I was quite happy. Now, ten years later I've got work coming out of my ears and I've even had to turn out on Saturdays to get work done - something I've never ever wanted to do or had to do in my life before!!!!

I think getting known locally helps - so advertising works provided its targeted locally. (assuming thats where you want work). I live near Whitby in N.Yorks, so its a mix of but most (not all) my work comes from people who live/work rurally. I didn't spend a lot on advertising - cards, a couple of ads in papers, small posters at the farmers mart. The conversations with the other wallers helped as some of them were in a position to pass my name on to farmers if they didn't want the work themselves. It helped having my name on the side of the van. Within the 1st year or two I doubt there's anyone living in or near our village who didn't know who I am and what I do. And they know other folk who live/work rurally so........

Competitors. I'm not sure but there are about six or seven f/t wallers within 15/20 miles of me, the nearest being about 12 miles away.

It has definitely helped me that I've always ensured that I say what I do and do what I say. So folks know that if I say I'll start Monday at 9am then I'll turn up Monday at 9am. And I'll also tell them when I cannot come, if I have to do something else. Being reliable so people know they can rely on you definitely works - I've been told so by one or two people I've done work for!!! as other people have kept letting them down and putting things off.

I'm booked up to Xmas so far and I've not even chased up the couple of folk who've contacted me about hedgelaying work......

Good luck!
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Darren Richmond » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi

Thank you so much for this, fantastic advice and really appreciated. Let me know if you need any help, happy to travel.

Regards

Darren
Darren Richmond

Postby jerryg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 am

where do you live?
I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Darren Richmond » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:01 am

Hi

Towhouse, Northumberland

Regards
Darren Richmond

Postby jerryg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:44 am

OK, I don't know anyone up that way, bit far away from me.

Everything Dave says is right. My own best advertising has always been either word of mouth or the writing on the side of my Landrover. One big advantage of a 110 landy is the amount of space available for my name and number. The £50 it cost ( the ad, not the Landy) has brought in many £1000's and of course following that, more word of mouth work.

I am 65 next year and still looking for people I can trust and recommend to carry on work for my many clients when I finally retire.

Give me a call if you want a natter about work, any evening after 7, 01229580639
I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Darren Richmond » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Thank you very much; I'd love to have a chat :-)

If ok, will call you later this afternoon.

Regards
Darren Richmond

Return to General Discussion