E.Coli 0157

Matters relating to health and safety for working wallers.

E.Coli 0157

Postby david perry » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:05 am

Just recovered from bout of this which was enough to have me admitted to hospital for four days.

You can find out the symptoms and effects yourselves easily enough with a quick Google but its more than just 'a tummy bug' This strain of e-coli can, and does kill. It had me scared I tell you.

Difficult to be 100% where I caught it from, but Environmental Health & the various medical practitioners I met were of the opinion that I caught it through work. (e-coli 0157) Not surprising that it lives in the guts of farm animals and walling/hedgelaying means you come into contact with ..........lots of the stuff!!

You do not build any immunity up to it either. As it can damage -(permanently) your kidneys and colon it might be a good idea to ensure that your hands are washed & cleaned before eating sandwiches and the like whilst you are in the field.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: E.Coli 0157

Postby Tracey B » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Very sorry to hear this David, it sounds horrible, and thanks for the warning. I am always far too laid back about eating my snap with grubby hands, thought all our germs out in the field were 'clean' ones!
Just glad that you are sufficiently recovered to be back home in time for Christmas. Enjoy a good rest. Best wishes. T
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Shirley M Addy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:09 pm

One could use liquid hand soaps that do not need water - the same type of stuff you see posted in hospitals. They are easily available from chemists or outdoor shops.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that it is only when I have really muddy hands/gloves that I get the incredible urge to scratch my itchy nose?
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:32 pm

The latest report from environmental health was that the source of infection was from some bison liver I was given by the farmer (and relative!) I've been doing some walling for.

The liver came from an abattoir and was properly prepared and bagged etc. Unfortunately I like rare liver.........and there were some bacteria left on it after it was cooked for me. Luckily I'm the only one in our house who likes the stuff.

However, I shall be ensuring my hands are washed before eating when out walling or hedging.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Shirley M Addy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:51 am

Jerry - You are not alone. I get a runny nose too, and having muddy sleeves don't help.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby George Gunn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Glad you're recovered. Sounds nasty !

At work I never eat the bit of my sandwich that I hold it by. The dog gets that bit !
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:34 am

Glad your OK mate, but best thing in future would be to wash the raw meat out of the butties.

I haven't had a buttie at work for a couple of years now, I take a flask of homemade food, curry,soups, stews etc, oatcakes, and fruit. Very healthy for a fat diabetic waller.
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to Health & Safety