Practice walling

Public and professional enquiries and services related to walling/dyking.

Practice walling

Postby Stevenk » Wed May 27, 2015 10:51 am

Hi

We've inherited a house that needs the dry stone walls rebuilding in the garden. I was wondering if there was anyone who needed to practice building dry stone walls and fancied having a go? Obviously will pay costs etc. The house is near Arnside.

thanks

Steven
Stevenk

Re: Practice walling

Postby jerryg » Thu May 28, 2015 9:02 am

will the costs be allowed to be a decent rate for building a decent wall.

I am not sure that the purpose of your advert is to get a good wall done or any old crap by someone who may not be very good. Knowing some of the walls that have been built around Arnside I am sure that there is at least 1 waller down there that needs all the practice he/she can get.
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Stevenk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:29 pm

The purpose was to help each other out. Someone needs practice then I have walls to practice on. If they were a professional then they'd get professional rates but they're not yet. Price would be agreed on before any work took place.

I could pay a professional but at the moment the house needs a new kitchen and bathroom so they're taking priority.

Either way, it doesn't seem like there are many dry stone wallers on a dry stone walling forum
Stevenk

Postby jerryg » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:04 am

Are you getting people who are not professionals to try out their skills in doing your kitchen and bathroom?

there are plenty of dry stone wallers on this website but most wallers I know do not like this type of "come and build me a wall for nowt" idea. Even people starting out in their walling profession usually like to be paid a reasonable amount for their skills.

If you just want amateurs to build your wall then I suggest you contact the Arnside and Silverdale AONB or the National Trust or the Cumbria wildlife trust as they have a volunteer workgroups who are often looking for walls to practice on.
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi There,

Just to chip in, As Jerry says, it sounds (just by how you have worded it here) like you are after a cheap job, so I cant imagine you will see a rush of people getting in contact. Also, you wont find that many Wallers here in the middle of summer, it tends to be a bit busier here when the nights are a bit longer.

The Branches are always being offered places to practice walling, most of these will be turned down due to unsuitability of the location.

If your advert was for a Waller to come and work for you for normal rates, then you might get somewhere, but again, not this time of year here.

I know this site works as I have contacted people posting here to see if they had any luck, needless to say, the job offers in the south of France with free food, wine, transport and accommodation have been over subscribed. Even Wallers in the States have picked up work.

I am sure you will find somebody, have a chat with the locals in the nearby villages, somebody somewhere will know someone who can do you a good job for a knockdown price I am sure. There is an old boy in a village where I do lots of work, I have lost a bit to him as he only wants £25 a day, but you get what you pay for.

Nigel.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Walling Services Offered/Required