retaining wall repair in west Wales

Public and professional enquiries and services related to walling/dyking.

retaining wall repair in west Wales

Postby awhitten » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:15 am

Looking for a qualified dry stone worker to repair retaining wall in west Wales, near Machynlleth. Photo attached. I've advertised locally and have many many responses but am a bit worried about whether they are qualified for a big retaining wall like this. I don't think there's anyone on your register who is within an hour of me. Any advice on how to evaluate workmen for this specific job (beyond getting multiple quotes and asking to see previous work) would also be very helpful. Thanks very much.
walling.jpg (157.87 KiB) Viewed 897 times

Re: retaining wall repair in west Wales

Postby bloop » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:27 am

You have already done the right thing in asking about previous work etc. Other questions might be - how would you fill in behind the wall and how deep would it be ?

If you get hesitant replies or if they suggest using soil, sand or something like gravel - walk away because the infill should be stone. The general rule of thumb for depth is half the finished height but they should know this. Good luck in your search.
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Re: retaining wall repair in west Wales

Postby Nigel » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:11 am

Hi, yes, looking to see other work and taking up references is a good idea, do take up references though.

If you have been looking at the professional register have a look for any of them that have a 'D' on their listing, it means they are happy to travel anywhere for the work.

I am sure there will be somebody around.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Return to Walling Services Offered/Required