Fibreglass handles

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Fibreglass handles

Postby Les Maxwell » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:37 pm

My local builder’s merchants are use to seeing me buying replacement wooden handles for my walling hammers. I also buy linseed oil (to soak the new handle in) along with wooden and metal wedges for fixing the handles in place.

John one of the salesman suggested buying one of the new range of fibreglass handle walling hammers they have just received. “The handle never break“ he told me and if they come loose they can be reset with a resin bonding kit (see you tube) the handle is the same thickness as a wooden one and I thought I would give it a try and fit a wooden one once it breaks.

This was seven years ago(yes seven) and with plenty of use on the lime stone of the Yorkshire Dales it is still as solid as the day I bought it.

They cost a few pound more than a wooden handle hammer but this is offset by not having to buy replacement handles.

If you are in the market for a new hammer it is worth considering a fibreglass type but buy one with the same size thickness as a wooden handle as I have seen some with a thin diameter handle that look a bit fragile.
Les Maxwell
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Re: Fibreglass handles

Postby bloop » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:02 am

Hello Les,

Could you post a photo of a walling hammer with a fibre-glass handle and let us know who sells them please.
bloop
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby Les Maxwell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi Bloop

Check out shopvistatools.co.uk based in Leeds they seem to have a good range of fibreglass handle walling hammers.

I am sure you can find other suppliers on line but these are manufactured in the UK not in China.

les
Les Maxwell
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby bloop » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:31 am

Hello Les,
Google/Firefox don't recognise shopvistatools.co.uk and a search of hardware shops in Leeds found nothing. Do these hammers have the same sort of head as the traditional wooden handled ones or are they more like the brick hammer style?
bloop
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby Les Maxwell » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:31 pm

Bloop,

I think I have given the wrong website it should be visatools.co.uk tel 01132869245.

The hammers are a standard walling hammer head but with a nice bright hi-vis yellow handle.

visatools have a couple of different weights and different handle lengths
Les Maxwell
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Bloop,

I think I have given the wrong website it should be visatools.co.uk tel 01132869245.

The hammers are a standard walling hammer head but with a nice bright hi-vis yellow handle.

Les Maxwell
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Bloop,

Les Maxwell
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Bloop,

Les Maxwell
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby Tracey B » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:39 pm

I once bought a sledge hammer with a fibreglass shaft. It hardly lasted any time at all before it broke but maybe technology has moved on since then.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby GregLee » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:47 pm

Les Maxwell wrote:The hammers are a standard walling hammer head but with a nice bright hi-vis yellow handle.

I wish I could buy hi-vis chisels that didn't lose their colour. I have lost a couple of chisels which disappeared in a pile of rubble, never to be found. I try to be careful where i put them down.

I had an axe with a fibreglass handle, it broke quite quickly, the hammer I bought the head came off the handle and I couldn't be bothered to glue it back on. I use a hammer with a steel handle, it has lasted quite well.

Greg
Amateur waller, Bathurst NSW Australia
GregLee
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:33 am

Hi Greg, I too got sick of losing small tools. I solved the problem by wrapping some bright orange,red or yellow electrical tape around the handles. The tape wears away so every so often re-wrap with new tape. You can use the different coloured tapes to clarify who owns which tool.
I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:58 pm

Fibre Glass walling hammers were in Homebase stores a week or two ago (when I last visited). A bit too much like mini sledgehammers for me to weild about all day. A waller I knew in Ireland had one but it too broke.

Almost all my hammers, chisels and hedge laying tools get a wrap or two of high visibility tape on them to avoid loss. (So far!)
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion