Creating online interest in The DSWA

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Creating online interest in The DSWA

Postby jim scott » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi ,This forum seems to be a waste o' space for a while,no new posts for ages,is it not about time that the main DSWA committee got involved wi this forum ,for at the moment it looks like they are above posting on the site,come on guys it's time that the main committee were promoting discussion on the site,after all this is one of the best means o' promoting the DSWA
jim scott
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Creating online interest in The DSWA

Postby Nigel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Jim,

A lot of them used to post here.

A few of them seemed to get a dogs abuse for voicing their opinion so didn't bother anymore. I understand that and dont blame them, the last thing you want after a days work is to go on line and deal with awkward situations.

In the last few years, more and more people use the facebook pages as a forum, not the DSWA facebook page, but there are a few dedicated to dry stone walling, its technicalities and so on, of course with facebook, you know who the person is, sometimes the forum platform can be more than a little anonymous.

I personally have seen forums be dropped by other organisations in favour of Facebook groups and whilst I dont know of any plans, time is moving on and this site gets used very little......

Anyway Jim, we are where we are, time will tell.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby George Gunn » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:49 pm

I run a FB group called Proper Dry Stone Walling and Constructive Discussions About It.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/389515551134070/

It was set up by Brian Fairfield a few years ago but eventually the postings of mortared work and the bitching got too much so that Brian was going to shut it down, but he asked if I wanted it. It took a while to get rid of a few troublemakers and now it's the most popular Drystone site out there with 1,578 members and lots of active posting .

There were 70 new members signed up so far during the holidays and we just finished our Christmas photo contest which had 12 entries !
The group is a supporter of the DSWA and its principles and Certification Scheme. It encourages and supports people all over the world in nurturing and improving their walling skills.

All Drystone Walling enthusiasts are welcome !
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks as always George!
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby david perry » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:34 pm

All website forums have a life of their own.

The thing I've noticed with any site is that there must be sufficient numbers interested so that as long as a reasonable proportion of those interested or registered users post (daily or weekly) then it will keep a smooth regular flow of postings. I'm a member of a yorkshire natural history group forum (whitby naturalists). There's a hundred or so members. Less of those read either the facebook page or the forum page. And even smaller numbers post at all! Just not enough people post to make it worthwhile going on either fb or the forum - and I've tried posting loads of times to get people to read either with little if any success.

Nigel has done excellent work on this forum over the years and until a year or two ago there were sufficient regular posters contributing just enough material and posts to make it worth while logging in every few days. As the members drifted off due to various reasons it just got slightly pointless.

Then as Nigel comments folk get put off by others voicing their opinions - and some people can be very opinionated and simply won't accept politely, that other opinions may be right also.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion