last of the few

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

last of the few

Postby waller 69 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 pm

david,jerry and nigel. you seem to be of the few, the backbone of the site if you will. this is no discusion more of a introduction. sorry this site does not seem to offer much in the way of a stepping stone[punn]. my name is kev, i was walling at 17 i am now approaching 47. the knees have gone,the backs cream crackered and the fuse is getting shorter every day. i cotswold dry stone wall, nothing else, i would not dream of saying i know how to build walls across this great country,i only build the ones i grew up with. i have seen some of the comments you have made on other posts and feel that we are from the same cloth. so i humbly offer my self to this band of brothers in the hope that this cause is not a lost one.
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: last of the few

Postby Nigel » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:35 am

Well you might want to be a little more optimistic about things, for me, we are at the tail end of summer and daylight is reminding us that it is not going to be as generous as it has been over the last few months. So you will excuse me if I have been a little quiet here as whilst I have logged in to offer any help I can, I have not felt very creative at the keyboard.

As with any forum, on the net, there will be 100 read posts for every written post, so it is important to remember that even though the forum is not flooded with new threads and posts, there are usually (along with the google bots and other bots) some guests just reading what is here and perhaps getting some help and support from that.

Cheer up Kev, its not a lost cause, the site or the dry stone walling its self. stick around and join in, you have made a really good start already.

Best wishes,

Nige'
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby david perry » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:37 am

I think the site gets busier once the nights draw in as Nigel says and people are more inclined to sit in front of their PCs. A quick count up of some of the months postings might confirm this.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Shirley M Addy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:40 pm

And you get folks like me to having an occasional rest from the forum then start dipping in to catch up after a while. Rather like a quiet drink in the pub, where you don't want everybody blathering all the time - just the quiet and calm enjoyment of a pint of real ale with just a contented hum in the background, if you like.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:52 pm

i didnt intend to leave anyone out it was a case of the first hits to the post... no offence intended... honest!!!!
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Paul » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:45 am

Hi Kev,
I'm new to this site. just spent the morning reading through most of the blogs. It's a very enjoyable :) read, very humerus at times :lol: , still laughing about the 'T' break.
i logged on at 7.30am to see if there were any local practice meets taking place, allas not, not this weekend anyway, Its now coming up to 10am, and the dog is still waiting for its morning walk, instead of a day in the fields. I'm a member of the Lancashire Branch, at the last meet it rained all morning, I've never been so wet, but the usual few, turned out, to build 2 sections of wall to the side of a track, that at times was 4'' deep in water.
please keep up the good work, i've got some photo's of a wall in the dales, i'd like to share, and interrogate you chaps with ( David, Jerry, Mike, Kev and the rest )
i'll try get getting back on tonight.
Paul

Postby jerryg » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:30 pm

that at times was 4'' deep in water.

Coo you were lucky, the wall where we are working at the moment is next to the sea and when the tide comes we have to retreat with landrover to high ground

as the bottom of the wall disappears under the sea for at least long enough to have a coff ee (heehee) break, :(
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi ya Paul and welcome to the fold. this place is great for info, and a good laugh at times. personally i love pics, so the more the better. i've only been on here myself a month but its the best use my pc as had in years. i could really do with a course in typing though[ and spelling by the look of it] :D :D :D
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:12 pm

wall on Caw Fell 1.jpg
wall on Caw Fell 1.jpg (55.18 KiB) Viewed 5944 times

Here's a nice example of a beautifully well built bit of field wall in the Lickle Valley, south west Lakes, not built by me, built many years ago by old mastercraftsmen. This is why we build our walls with our topstones leaning downhill, because not only do they look right but how else would you do it?
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:40 pm

again the countryside near you allows a wonderful piece of work, i can only imagine how difficult it would have been to construct, a true piece of art from a waller who had mastered his trade. and thanks for these pics i hope they give others as much pleasure as they give me..cheers :) :) :)
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion