WHAT TO WEAR

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

WHAT TO WEAR

Postby Shirley M Addy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:17 pm

My old faithful Karrimor waterproof is now in shreds, thanks to a few seasons spent hedgelaying that involved barbed wire and hawthorns. It'll keep for another winter and I'm loathe to get rid of it while the rain cannot get through the holes in the garment. However, I'm on the lookout for suitable jackets, gilet or anything that keeps the rain and cold out but is barbproof, thornproof and, of course, stoneproof. I've looked at Strauss Direct's online catalogue but I don't fancy looking like a council worker or a clipboard hugger. I would be grateful if anyone could advise me of suitably robust and weatherproof outerwear.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

What To Wear

Postby david perry » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:29 pm

Shirley
For hedgelaying in wet weather I always use a waxed jacket of some kind. Being an yorkshireman like, nowt too expensive, but I do wax them until their proper waterproof like, tha knows.

For walling in wettish conditions (I go home in wet conditions) the waxed jacket attracts muck on the front and this either ends up ruining the zip or the front of the jacket by wearing through the fabric. So I go to our local agricultural store and buy the cheapest plastic overtrousers & waterproof jacket possible. The overtrousers are essential for wearing in the wet, cos I can't lift stones above my waist anymore now I'm in my ........'s.

One idea I have had, but never done much about for walling is using an apron made from canvas or someother hard wearing waterpoof material. (I have some in the shed). Then you could wear more durable/expensive/posh gear underneath and be protected from the wear of the stone.

Please send me your Karrimor because I use goretex only for mountaineering and the like.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Shirley M Addy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:28 pm

David
I've a smattering of Yorkshire blood in me, so I don't want to spend a lot on stuff that'd get mucked up. I'm tempted to get a cheap wax jacket you see on market or ex army shop but wonder about cleaning - would I've to rewax everytime I wash it?
I probably would not wear it for walling. I do have a leather apron but prefer to keep my attire simple.
I'm afraid you'd be disappointed in my Karrimor as it's not Goretex but it WAS of a very good waterproof until it got torn by barbed wire and thorns in my uncontainable zeal in hedgelaying. Besides, you might get a few coins thrown in your mug as you sit on some cairn if you wore it!
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:47 pm

Shirley, Those cheap wax jackets are fine but not brilliantly waterproof when you first get them. You may need to top the waxing up a bit with ...er,,, extra waxing. I think I got my extra wax from a better quality shop than I got my wax jacket.. The jacket I used for hedging I've never really washed. Dirt however, I just sponge off. And yes that eventually means rewaxing that bit of the jacket. It's no real problem. I've only used one small drinks sized container of wax in ten years. I did have another wax jacket for non work purposes and left it in my workshop one winter & it got mouldy and smelt. A dunk in warm water with a little soap followed by a rinse sorted that out and left much of the wax intact.

For walling I just use cheap waterproofs. I like the idea of a leather apron though as the front of your clothing gets a hammer from both wear and dirt. :)
I just like stone!!

david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Shirley M Addy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:09 pm

David - As of today, I am the proud possessor of a relatively cheap (£30) but nicely made waxed jacket, bought in Skipton. I didn't get any wax but saw a can of Granger's spray-on wax. What wax do you use and how frequent? My freshly-washed Karrimor is going to be put at the back of the coat cupboard and kept as a souvenir (worn occasionally or conversation piece): it suffered more damage last week. It'd be interesting if a competition for the most torn waterproof jacket was held. If anyone thinks I'm frugal or rebelling against today's fashions, I'm only competing with one of my co-volunteers (male) in this matter! Can't wait to have a fashion parade at the hedges next week.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:08 pm

Very good Shirley, I was only in Skipton three weeks ago myself.

The stuff I use is 'Barbour thornproof dressing'. Cannot remember where I got it but knowing me it would not be too expensive despite it's brand-name. It's a wipe on stuff like wax for walking boots etc.

Dave
I just like stone!!

david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

WHAT TO WEAR

Postby Jayt » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Shirley,
WWW.WORKWEARSUPPLIER.com have alsorts from cheap an cheerful to lunatically expensive, at least lunatically expensive for walling anyway. my coat and pants cost about £35 and are very good. Idont have any shares or connection with the company either :D
Regards JayT
Jayt
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Shirley M Addy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:36 pm

David - I'll take note of the Barbour wax, which will probably be cheaper than Granger's which spray everything with wax.
Jay - I'll be needing some waterproof overtrousers sometime. In the meanwhile I've got some resembling a flyproof strip curtain and also a pair of hand-me-downs which will be too warm for me.
Thanks gentlemen.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Charlie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:33 pm

I wear a brand which goes under the name "snickers" and no it aint chocolate coated.
Charlie
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby bhutcheon1 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi Shirley
Three or four years ago I bought a FLEXOTHANE bib & brace and jacket....and they have been bullet proof,they have a bit of stretch
in them,so are not really restricting,and they breath a bit so dont get
really uncomfortable...I have also been impaled on barbed wire a few times and they just wont tear (and you can throw them in the washing machine and ihey come out like new ) !.I bought them locally for about £35 but you can view at www.safetysupplies.co.uk

Also,just for intrest see www.vikingsafety.com look in "online catalogue"
at bottom of home page then klick "bargain basement"....ex police
waterproof overtrousers for £3 + VAT Handy for spares......Also on this page you can buy ex police riot helmet with visor for £7 + VAT......(perfect protection when breaking big stone......or maybe for the end of year local branch AGM...)?
Hope Santa is good to you.
Regards Bruce H
bhutcheon1
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby Shirley M Addy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Hi Bruce
I'd a look at the flexothane b&b which was c.£19 on website - looks a good idea for walling but I still have doubts about wearing dungarees. Still flexothane sounds an interesting material. Couldn't find bargain basement on Viking website. I've worn my new wax jacket for two days and with a breathable tee-shirt underneath it was extremely comfortable, in spite of warnings it'd be too warm or cold.
Shirley
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby bhutcheon1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:51 pm

Shirley
Sorry for the duff information.....go to the viking link...klick on the blue logo...then on"bargain basement"...other handy things in there too.
regards
Bruce H
bhutcheon1
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby stonewaller » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:06 pm

Clothes?

Who needs em.
I find building 10 square metres a day keeps you warm in winter, and you`re moving so fast the rain just misses. :roll:
stonewaller
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Shirley M Addy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:42 pm

For David Perry. It's two or three months since I've acquired my £30 waxed cotton jacket. I've used it for weekly hedgelaying fixes, and I am delighted to confirm that in spite of much leaning over barbed wire and plucking by blackthorn, there is not a single perforation. So many thanks for your recommendation. (I still use my Karrimor shreds for DSWing and mucky woodland tasks.)
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion