For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Postby George Gunn » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:10 pm

“When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, ‘See! This, our fathers did for us.’”

–John Ruskin (1809-1900)
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Quote

Postby jerryg » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:34 am

And here's another from the great man, it's a shame more people are not aware of it:

Ruskin believed that jobs should be paid at a fixed rate, so that the best workmen got employed, instead of those that offered to do the job at a lower price:

"Nay, but I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your bricklayer; that is the proper reward of the good workman, to be "chosen." The natural and right system respecting all labour is, that it should be paid at a fixed rate, but the good workman employed, and the bad workman unemployed. The false, unnatural, and destructive system is when the bad workman is allowed to offer his work at half-price, and either take the place of the good, or force him by his competition to work for an inadequate sum."
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby bricksetter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:08 am

Both equally good quotes lads, well done!. :D
bricksetter
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jim scott » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:48 pm

vikingdyking wrote:“When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, ‘See! This, our fathers did for us.’”

–John Ruskin (1809-1900)

Hi George,

Thats the way it should be,but unfortunately,not always the case,as an the example of the worst dyking I have seen for some time,was at Tesco,in Wick in the summer time,with fantastic,flatbedded stone,which a lot of people,including myself,would have given,their right arm ,just to work with,I saw it last summer it was awfull,even worse this summer,it was falling down,a typical examlpe of cowboys at work,hope you didnae dae it, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As Gerry says,jobs like that, which are in the public eye,should be based on good workmanship,like yourself,not based on cowboy prices ,after all, I don't think that Tesco are short of a bob or two,I also think that community groups should have the right to make these Companies put things right.

Jim
jim scott
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:05 pm

i`ve followed so many cowboys now i`m starting to think i need an Indian name :wink: loved the quotes by the way :) :)
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:50 pm

i noted in a very early post that stonewaller did a rogues gallery, what are the legal ramifications of us doing one here?
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby George Gunn » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi Jim
Yes , that's a real mess at Wick Tesco. Don't know who threw it up, usually it's guys from the south that get these jobs.
Did you see the one at Freswick,on the John O'Groats road, built a few years ago by Arm***ong Border Dy***s.
Contractors who come up here to do big contracts dont give a toss as they're not likely to be back. Also the big local firms go for the cheapest price.
You should've called in for a cup of tea. I don't see many visiting dykers up here ! :)

Regarding the quote, a friend sent it to me, saying it summed up my attitude to my work.
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby stonewaller » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:36 pm

Sorry everyone for going off message, not much of a one for quotes but...
Jim/George
Come on...
Here I am appealing elsewhere for examples of rubbish walling for the standards booklet...
Photos please.

69...As to online rogues gallery etc there are always potential legal ramifications but if something is rubbish you're allowed to say so under "fair comment", I'd be happy to publish any photos of rubbish on this basis. Standing (or should that be teetering precariously) on my pedestal I take the stance that what actually constitutes fair comment and deciding something is rubbish is down to the experts.... I'd like to think in a court of law someone would find it difficult to 'out expert' me. Of course I have a very high opinion of myself and could be heading for a nasty fall.

Sean
stonewaller
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:47 am

anyone ever get a pic of the one on the A40 ? just outside Northleach, back towards Cheltenham. Theres a pub called the Peusdown Inn and 100 yards towards Cheltenham on the left hand side theres a real shocker :lol: :lol: Sean if you want a few horrors i can probably supply loads, this area seems to attract rogues, i do have to take the pics but it wont take long, the worst problems i have is im not good at uploading pics and one of the so called dsw was done by mates of mine and one of ems got a better right hand than me so it may have to be anonymous :lol: :lol:
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jim scott » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:38 pm

stonewaller wrote:Sorry everyone for going off message, not much of a one for quotes but...
Jim/George
Come on...
Here I am appealing elsewhere for examples of rubbish walling for the standards booklet...
Photos please.

69...As to online rogues gallery etc there are always potential legal ramifications but if something is rubbish you're allowed to say so under "fair comment", I'd be happy to publish any photos of rubbish on this basis. Standing (or should that be teetering precariously) on my pedestal I take the stance that what actually constitutes fair comment and deciding something is rubbish is down to the experts.... I'd like to think in a court of law someone would find it difficult to 'out expert' me. Of course I have a very high opinion of myself and could be heading for a nasty fall.

Sean

Sorry Sean,
I never was one to carry a camera,Although I did have photos of the dyke we were talking about,as it was during the holiday period,I have looked through all the photos of that time,Ziltz,I must have wiped them,but George may have photos of the offending wall.

In my opinion it's time that local planning authorities put a clause in the planning contracts,to say that,if the wall was deemed to be of unsatisfactory build,the companies themselves would be responsible for the rebuild, to a satisfactory standard,that might focus minds,

Jim.
jim scott
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Tracey B » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:06 pm

However, it might just put them off opting for dry stone in the first place.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jim scott » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Tracey B wrote:However, it might just put them off opting for dry stone in the first place.

This is true Tracy,but I for one would rather see a well built brick wall,than the drystone mess at Wick Tesco,also it should be up to local planning,to insist on a well built dyke to be in keeping with local tradition and style,

Jim.
jim scott
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:53 pm

my biggest worry is would they know the difference? :(
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 pm

I have no idea where this wick tesco wall is but is there a chance you can find it on that Google street mappy thing, where you can look at things from different angles that I think Nigel maybe used a while back? or is Wick so remote that google haven't found it yet?
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:17 pm

if any of you out there can work google maps, you should be able to find the one on the A40 i mentioned as well, you really need to see it, trust me :D
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Next

Return to General Discussion