Very 'odd' Cotswold stone wall

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Very 'odd' Cotswold stone wall

Postby GPTMHD » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi all, Am new to this forum but am looking for experienced thoughts on a very odd driveway entrance retaining wall in the Cotswolds (pic attached). There is nothing else like this on the property or in the locality. Has anyone any thoughts on whether this was built in this style for a reason or whether it simply reflects the fact that the outer face of the wall has collapsed and been removed etc etc. :?: :?: :?:
Thanks for any input!
Attachments
P1290065.JPG
P1290065.JPG (53.74 KiB) Viewed 12993 times
Entrance Splay - East 1.JPG
Entrance Splay - East 1.JPG (49.04 KiB) Viewed 12993 times
GPTMHD

Re: Very 'odd' Cotswold stone wall

Postby Nigel » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Thats a very good question, I suppose the only way to find out would be to have a better look at it or dig behind to see if there is some sort of face to the rear of the wall.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby waller 69 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 pm

i`m gonna be careful at the moment but having seen it before and done the same type of work,i will offer this: if you build a traditional retaining wall into a steep bank and for whatever reason the face stones are removed, this is what you should see. the only fly in the ointment is on the top pic, top left i can see wallers or face stones that are set back and there are a couple of angular stones place upside down in my oppinion, i would have to see it to be sure but....theres a lot like this around Stroud but on location i am grabbing at straws......and to add i`m talking cotswolds, what they do elsewhere i have no idea....
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Tracey B » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Another classic example of a venerable wall which defies logic by breaking every rule in the book.....and has survived since time immemorial to tell tale (or not tell the tale).
Thanks for the post.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Never been to the cotstwolds and so I am not speaking from any local influence here but it looks to me like there is a decent-ish looking wall to one side of first picture.

A few years ago we built a garden wall from newly quarried stone and when we had finished there was some stone left. Rather than skip it the owner said it might come in handy somewhere else so he had us neatly stack it up against his wall very much like the picture. Now over 7 years later the stack is still there, but now with some ivy growing over it and the stone never used. It could be that in another 70 years it may still be stacked there in which it will probably look like even more like those pictures.
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Tracey B » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:18 pm

That makes sense.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 pm

still not sure of the general location :? blue tint and soft stone could be Cheltenham or outskirts but it matters little we have less than a dozen varieties locally and they move about a bit. be nice to have the top pic again but further left, just to see if the wallers had a interlocked return...then i would happily bet my house we are looking at a top class middle( cotswold style) :wink:
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby GPTMHD » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks for everyone's help here! Interesting! Waller 69 - the wall is near Tetbury. I believe the wall to the left in the top picture was re-built at some point when the road was widened slightly - have attached another view if that helps!
Attachments
P1290064.JPG
P1290064.JPG (53.56 KiB) Viewed 12950 times
P1290056.JPG
P1290056.JPG (54 KiB) Viewed 12950 times
GPTMHD

Postby waller 69 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 pm

ah see i should have stuck with the stroud, its similar all the way up from stroud through nailsworth and including Tetbury...i was going the wrong way, mind you its the same valley i think?heh i never said i was perfect :) your in Nigels neck of the woods really, though i have helped build houses very near you. dont know about the bottom pic, its either the angle you have taken it at or somethings gone a bit pete tong, cus it looks really odd!! still welcome to the site and thankyou for a most interesting few pics. it is middle by the way, i will bet my life on it, your house got any extentions on it? ill show you the stones the builders nicked if you like :wink:
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:34 pm

sussed the bottom pic, just had to rotate my head 90 degrees and it all made sense :roll: .ten years or so ago, nearly at the top we ran out of wallers on a job. the customer said there was a bit of wall in his wood we could use to finish. turns out its a traditional bit of retaining wall with a few good face stones still intact. took what we needed and what was left looked very similar to the pics, you could say i had inside info (pun) :wink:
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:00 pm

GPTMHD wrote:Thanks for everyone's help here! Interesting! Waller 69 - the wall is near Tetbury. I believe the wall to the left in the top picture was re-built at some point when the road was widened slightly - have attached another view if that helps!

I nearly broke my neck yesterday when I drove past this I think! if it is this wall I am working about 2 miles up the road in the next village, I might take a closer look next week, just for fun you understand.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw it and thought, hang on, I have seen that somewhere before!

Its a small world, but I would not want to paint it.

I will take a pic to confirm that it is either another one the same or the same wall and to prove to myself that I am not seeing things.
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby waller 69 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 am

Can`t be many like it around Nige, be interesting to know if i am right about it, its not easy from a photo, but i have seen 3 or 4 like it so i am fairly confident :D :D
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Yes, this is the one and I am puzzled why it has been left like it, on one hand the stones look as if they are supposed to be like it (see the bottom picture), if it was the internal face of a retaining wall it would have fallen down a long time ago, there is next to no front pinning either, I would have thought this would be present if it was the inside of a wall.

Up toward the gate
did3.JPG
did3.JPG (150.06 KiB) Viewed 12851 times

It looks like it could be half a wall judging by where the pillar is and the tarmac stops, toward the road it looks like it has been finished very roughly in-line with the pillar.

There is a telegraph pole very close to the face of the wall so that would stop you from building a new face to the wall. The wall is starting to move near the roadside on the right hand side of the entrance a couple of cracks/gaps an inch or two wide.
did2.JPG
did2.JPG (116.55 KiB) Viewed 12851 times

Its about 5 mins drive from the local quarry, so cherry picking some stone to make the whole wall look like the first picture below would not be out of the question but it would be out of keeping with every other wall in the village
did1.JPG
did1.JPG (143.99 KiB) Viewed 12851 times
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby waller 69 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Nige, you are not the only one puzzled, the right hand pillars a real problem, there`s not enough room for the face, but too much colour for a recent addition......i dont know, it looks like a bloody X file to me......
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion