Youtube

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Youtube

Postby Nigel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:31 pm

Whilst having looked at Tracey B's video and uploading another one to my channel, I found myself wandering around the other Dry stone walling videos out there.

I would have to say there are some good and bad ones, Tracey B's Video is a really good example of what the craft/art/skill is all about.

It didnt take me long to find Videos with walls filled with gravel in them, and experts that don't do us any favours at all, I know my début was not the best in the world, but I am happy with it.

Whilst we should not be slagging off others work, I think we could use the videos to help the visiting public see what is good in a dry stone wall and what is bad and to be avoided. Sure there are books on this, but a short bit of Video speaks volumes.

Here is the one with gravel everywhere. http://youtu.be/nR2DVUpdIHI

Not sure I would do it this way having repaired two walls that lasted only two months built this way.

and here is a video with some sound advice http://youtu.be/yF74-IhG9pw

fixed links!
Last edited by Nigel on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Youtube

Postby david perry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Nigel, I couldn't get that link to work. ~According to Utube it was 'malformed' Mmmmmm??
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby BMartindale » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:12 pm

love watching videos of walling on youtube, infact i spend way too much time doing, again great job tracey
"it's a dying art"
"the only thing thats dying is me, coz this wall is killing me"
BMartindale
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby BMartindale » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:22 pm

just watched the first video you recommended (have seen it before), his foundation also worries me, talking about his foundation projection, which yes, does exist in some styles of walls, but from what i have seen is generally around 2-3 inch. His is six inch and when you look down the line, some of the foundation stones must only be 6 or 7 inch depth into the wall, therefore the wall is built on 0-1 foundation? how long before that slips? not impressed. correct me if im wrong, always willing to learn.
"it's a dying art"
BMartindale
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby BMartindale » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:31 pm

this makes me laugh, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht17TWzTJVY
spacial relationship?
working down the gradient? (why not work up it?)
plus i do not like most american work ive seen, looks like vertical crazy paving, thats not to say there aren't good american wallers.
"it's a dying art"
BMartindale
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:14 pm

david perry wrote:Nigel, I couldn't get that link to work. ~According to Utube it was 'malformed' Mmmmmm??

Thanks for having a go anyway, I have just checked the links, I dont know why the link didnt work for you, I have just worked out how to make the links work a bit better, it takes time getting used to different forums and how they work.

Yes, there are lots of different ways to build walls, I came across a site the other day explaining about the old traditional way to build a wall and the modern way to build a drystone wall with cement. old news here I know, but it does not do us many favours.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby stonewaller » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:23 pm

There was a revies of YOUtube videos way back in Stonechat 12 http://www.dswales.org.uk/Stonechat.html.
Bit limited and dated now, the last link does work but the videos changed, no longer me, hurrah.

About time there was a more detailed and up to date review... any volunteers, probably for Stonechat 25 Autumn 2011#

SEan
stonewaller
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:55 pm

It does work now. Thanks!!
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber