Job price quoted?

Public and professional enquiries and services related to walling/dyking.

Job price quoted?

Postby chriss33 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi, i wanted to ask what is a fair rate per square meter of dry stone to be repaired?

We live on the edge of the cottwolds near burford, our dry stone wall is appox 75ft long,by 3 ft high, the entire wall needs to be rebuilt,as it as totally collapsed all the way along..

We have had one estimate so far, of £2000.. this was to totally dismantle wall, prepair and rebuild and and clear away any rubbish..

I will try and take some photo's and up load it if i can later..

Does this seem afair price to you,or alittle steep??
chriss33

Re: Job price quoted?

Postby david perry » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:07 pm

According to my calculator that works out as £25 per yard - which sounds like a very reasonable price but then I've not seen the wall!
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby chriss33 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:45 am

david perry wrote:According to my calculator that works out as £25 per yard - which sounds like a very reasonable price but then I've not seen the wall!

Hi david, thanks for reply.. can i ask how you worked out the calculations? im still trying to work out how you got £25 per yard? how do you dry stone wallers calculate cost?

I am going to try acouple of other drystone wallers near me, So 25 is good,whats the usual rate around the cottswolds area? Been googling and many say up to £50 per yard..

Thanks! :)
chriss33

Postby david perry » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:53 pm

There are previous discussions on the General forum about costings. But its a bit of guessology (at least for me) and not an exact science.
You need to know whether the waller is charging for either a square yard or linear yard. In your case as the wall is 3ft in height it's the same.

The amount of wall I can do varies depending on the stone, where it is in relation to the job, whether the foundations need resetting and so on. But I know I could do 4, 5 or 6 linear yards in a day on a wall 3ft high £25 or so would get you around £100 or £150 per day, which might be what the waller was thinking with the quote.

Price isn't everything though. Have you seen any of his previous work?
I just like stone!!

david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 pm

I have no idea of the going rate down in the cotswolds, it seems you need to contact nigel or waller 69 from here, but regards costings as quoted, £2000 for 75 feet of walling 3 foot high, seems to me to work out at £80 yard. That seem a bit high but as I say don't know going rate down there.
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Oh, dear Jerry's maths is better than my calculator so I too think at £80 per yard you've been quoted rather highly!

Note....Must check my maths before posting!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I just like stone!!

david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby alex » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:46 pm

chriss33 wrote:Hi, i wanted to ask what is a fair rate per square meter of dry stone to be repaired?

We live on the edge of the cottwolds near burford, our dry stone wall is appox 75ft long,by 3 ft high, the entire wall needs to be rebuilt,as it as totally collapsed all the way along..

We have had one estimate so far, of £2000.. this was to totally dismantle wall, prepair and rebuild and and clear away any rubbish..

I will try and take some photo's and up load it if i can later..

Does this seem afair price to you,or alittle steep??

hi there looking at prices it works out a lot more than it should be i would price that up as about 1600 hundred pounds
alex

Postby Tracey B » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:54 pm

I remain mystified as to why we are asked to pass judgement on other professional waller's quotations, and even more why we are eager to respond so judgmentally without seeing the site involved.
I feel sure that plumbers, electricians, joiners and other tradesmen would not enter into such a dialogue and so why is walling any different?
By the way, this is not a dig at any potential client posing the question, more a subjective point for discussion.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby banjoman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:30 pm

I would suggest the best way forward is get more than one quote and before accepting any ,ask the would be successful tenderer if you could see an example of his work just as you would say if you were having an extension built
banjoman

Postby Nigel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Tracey B wrote:I remain mystified as to why we are asked to pass judgement on other professional waller's quotations, and even more why we are eager to respond so judgmentally without seeing the site involved.
I feel sure that plumbers, electricians, joiners and other tradesmen would not enter into such a dialogue and so why is walling any different?
By the way, this is not a dig at any potential client posing the question, more a subjective point for discussion.

Thank you, yes, it is almost impossible to give a quote on a repair like this, there are too many variable's just in the brief description you have given. I would want to see it first, £80.00 per metre isnt a lot of money for striping down and rebuilding a Cotswold wall if the stones are around 1 inch high and they are not very deep, then you are looking at extra stone as well.

Again, if you have a quote from somebody who has looked at the proposed work, its going to be more accurate than a guess from my desk here.

Just get references and ask to see the wallers work, if you dont get that, walk away and find somebody else.

good luck, there are plenty of good wallers out there that just want to do a good job for a fair price.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Walling Services Offered/Required