Yet more advice...

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Yet more advice...

Postby Bricktop » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 am

Hi all. I just signed up here last night, and I've had a wee look through the posts. I couldnt find exactly what i was looking for, so hopefully some of you kind folk wont mind answering a couple of simple questions for a simple hopeful.

I'm 32 and based in Edinburgh, and hoping to move back to the Highlands soon. I desperately need a career change, and besides I need new skills in order to move. I've been looking a lot at dry stone walling (after looking at various other choices), and I'm very, very intrigued. I have zero experience though.

I have found some places that do levels 1 and 2 training courses. I'd just like to know a couple of things before i proceed.

Do I need to have had experience or practice to do these courses? And will I need to practice after doing level 1 in order to progress to level 2?
(Like rope access, where you need 1000 hours rope time to progress in to level 2..?)

What do I need to get started in the industry, is level 1 enough or do people tend not to take any notice of level 1's?

Once I have what I need, do I then need to go on to an apprenticeship, or can I hope to land a gig helping out someone local?

What is the minimum needed to go on and become self-employed?

I'm aware that it will take a lot of work to go up the levels, but i'm really excited about learning this skill. The college in Fort William does a rural skills course, but that spreads over several different skills across the year. Dry stone walling is included but not exlusively, and the next course doesnt start until August 2012. If i could be qualified before then, that would be better for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bricktop

Re: Yet more advice...

Postby Tracey B » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:41 pm

Hello Blair. As you have seen, we get an awful lot of posts from people who 'want to be a dry stone waller'. Which might be why you have not received any constructive replies. Also, there were ALOT of questions!
I am sure that all of the advice meted out to people in the past is just as relevant to yourself.
Perhaps we could begin by me suggesting that you tackle a Level 1 (beginner's) course and find out if you have any sort of aptitude and are prepared to take the rough with the smooth. Yes, you would then need some practise to develop your hand eye coordination skills prior to taking on the Level 2 certification.
Please come back with any more specific questions, but preferably one at a time! Cheers. T
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Yet more advice...

Postby Bricktop » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Well thank you Tracy for the reply. It seems I may have got slightly carried away (ahem), but I have been looking in to it more and have found out what I need to. Thanks again.
Bricktop

Return to General Discussion