Finding Work

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Finding Work

Postby aquilaoates » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Hello, I am after some advise, I am in the process of setting up my walling business, and need to know how best to promote myself without breaking the bank.
Thanks for your help, John.
aquilaoates
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Re: Finding Work

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:51 pm

aquilaoates wrote:Hello, I am after some advise, I am in the process of setting up my walling business, and need to know how best to promote myself without breaking the bank.

Hello and welcome. It might sound simple, but why dont you tell us a bit more about yourself and your experience here? I trust you are a member of the DSWA?
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby aquilaoates » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:52 pm

aquilaoates wrote:Hello, I am after some advise, I am in the process of setting up my walling business, and need to know how best to promote myself without breaking the bank.

Just a little bit of help please. i have paid my professional membership last week if this helps you tight lipped lot??????????
aquilaoates
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby aquilaoates » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Nigel wrote:

Hello and welcome. It might sound simple, but why dont you tell us a bit more about yourself and your experience here? I trust you are a member of the DSWA?

I passed my intermediate in December and I live in Huddersfield.
I have an extensive background in building spanning over 11 yrs, I decided to change direction after an accident.
I have been a member for 6 months now and just upgraded to professional membership last week.
I have attended 3 meetings at Otley, entered 1 "fun day" walling comp and walled at this years Yorkshire show.
I have been dry walling for about 8 months now but most of this time has been training and grit stone on my friends land.
I have had one paying job so far, unfortunately in 8 months this does not pay the bills.
Pulling out what hair i have left.
aquilaoates
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby Stoneinspired » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Assuming that you don't have many jobs to show to clients to prove that you are competent, why not try this:

1 - Get some business cards printed;
2 - Get on your bike and go looking for walls needed repaired;
3 - Find out who owns them and offer to work for free for one day, and if they are happy with your work, agree a rate;
4 - Ask happy clients to recommend you to friends, family and neighbours.

It's pretty much how i started.

If you do have some work to show off, get some good photos taken and put together an album to show clients. Also useful to have testimonials for happy clients.

Jason
Stoneinspired
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:27 pm

dont know much about work your way but i can tell you some things that work in my area....much of what Jason said above works, when you get work a sign board helps, nothing clever, name and number thats all..getting work is just a case of finding the customer and getting them to hire you..if you start with repairs or patches someone is always having problems with a cowboy to get your foot in the door just offer a sample piece, if you dont agree its better than the other wallers work dont pay me!!!!it really can get you work and then its up to you
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:00 pm

I returned to the UK three years ago and started walling (& hedgelaying) here in Yorkshire.

:arrow: Advert in the village magazine. This was free as I wrote a couple of articles. It got me some work.
:arrow: Advert in local farming section of local paper. This too got me a couple of jobs.
:arrow: Went and talked to other wallers. This resulted in some work passing to me.
:arrow: Van with "Walling & Hedging" on side everywhere I work. It's got me a couple of leads and everyone knows me now.
:arrow: Volunteer with national park. Key park staff have got to know me and often ask me to quote for jobs.
:arrow: Did myself a little website. (Well not too fancy - just a blogg c/o blogspot.com) This has got me several jobs.
:arrow: Oh, and plenty of free business cards c/o Vista Print. They get sprinkled around like confetti. Want one?

I've got enough work to keep me going until March!
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby aquilaoates » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks everyone for your input, here's hoping it gets me moving! I'll defo be using some of these ideas...cheers!
aquilaoates
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby George Gunn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 am

Advertising in the local rag is free if its a small article about yourself that they want to print . Most people read the articles, not all read all the ads.They'll want a picture too.
Vistaprint are cheap and get cheaper the longer you ignore their offers,eventually cards etc are "free", just pay postage.
Do demos at shows in your own space. Ask if there's a fee as a demo helps the show, so should be free or cheap.
You have plenty of free time ? do cheap features for friends and family so you have photos for shows and clients.
Make a printed book of photos up using LIDl's cheap photo service.
Websites can be free eg spanglefish.com or join FACEBOOK and make a business page with photos. Change the facebook address from lots of letters and numbers to the actual page name,so people can find the page easily amongst all the others with the same name.
Plus all the other advice given.
Good Luck.
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion