New career?

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

New career?

Postby Durham4416 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:50 pm

In a tree surgeon and live in the north east (Middlesbrough) area and interested in taking up walling, iv spoke to Allison at the dswa and she kindly put me in touch with Peter dent, after speaking to him I'm looking to do my level 1 course and then hopefully continue and do my level 2 as long as I can pick it up, I'm just wondering what peoples views are of walling as a career, I know it's down to the individual but looking for some general views, I'm hoping it will tie in with tree surgery, ideally do tree work and walling for farmers etc, any info much appreciated, cheers in advance
Durham4416

Re: New career?

Postby Nigel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:10 am

In my opinion if you are a tree surgeon and running your own successful business and can wall I don't see why you cant make it work, there are a few businesses around that are stone and wood orientated and the mix seems to work well.
If you cant get enough work as a tree surgeon and want to have another string to your bow have a look at why you are not getting enough work, the same problems could exist in walling such as weather, too many other tree surgeons in your area and not enough work.

Good luck with it, I am sure somebody more local could give you a better feel for the climate out there.

Nigel.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby waller 69 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:41 pm

tree surgery pays better than walling( most of the time) but I guess you have been a tree surgeon for some time, let me guess joint problems??? so what your really looking to do is supplement your income and diversify a little and by doing so take some pressure of the joints( probably your knees, you start to have probs after five years on the ropes normally)stop me If I'm way off the mark, but I make a living doing what you are thinking about, plus other things....welcome anyway :wink:( i dont do the off ground stuff now, too old, but forestry will always be there...)
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:19 pm

I have done this seperatly for good reason, Walling gives out what you put in, its easier to be a plummer, brickie, mechanic, etc...I could wall before I could drive...with good instruction and full interest in walling, you could be competent in four years, as a pro....Its just another apprenticeship....as I posted this I see your here, good time to chew the fat the :wink: :wink:
Last edited by waller 69 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Durham4416 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm not self employed at the minute, I work as a tree surgeon for a large utility company, climbing is taking its toll a bit but I'm only 25, I just thought I could do some walking on weekends to boost my wage then become self employed and do walking and tree surgery, I was under the understanding walling paid well?
Durham4416

Postby waller 69 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:28 pm

sorry my pc is slow, but welcome to my world :wink: your area is a mistery to me so my comments require careful analasis when compared with your area..
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:42 pm

No one here would thank me for telling you how to make money out of walling...If you want to make an honest living I will help you all I can.. and call me Kev...
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Sorry if my previous posts come over as a little negative, Durham4416, Its not how I actually meant it to come across, so try this as an answer...I do a similar thing to what you are sudgesting, though I now just concentrate on several small estates, I have found it easy to pick up work by just asking "who does your walls" for instance....It costs nothing, and some you win, some you dont...If you are on site, doing one type of work, you already have your foot in the door so its not hard to pick up other work if you can do it....
That said, you really need to do some walling before you make too many plans( it dont suit everyone) and do some homework on rates, competition and work availability
all the best
Kev
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion