Wildlife in the wall

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Wildlife in the wall

Postby Dr Wall » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm doing my first rebuild and amazed by the wildlife in the wall. The wall encloses a field of willows and every stone I turn is covered in little beetles - willow beetle I guess.
100_2907.JPG
willow beetle
100_2907.JPG (135.1 KiB) Viewed 4515 times

I'm also finding lots of young newts and re-homing them in another derelict wall close by.
100_2910.JPG
newt
100_2910.JPG (110.19 KiB) Viewed 4515 times

It would be great to see what wildlife you find in your walls :D
Would-be-waller
Dr Wall

Re: Wildlife in the wall

Postby Nigel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:26 am

I have found Bees, frogs/toads slow worms, mice all manner come to that along with countless spiders, its a temporary eviction as I dont usually take down good walls, so the wall already needs repairing in that section. Yes hearting should always be tight and a wall with too much room for guests may be a sign of not enough hearting, I think something can usually be engineered someplace to help these critters along the way.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby phil » Sun May 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Not so long ago on a training course, a well known member on the Mendips proclaimed '' Adders have left the walls by now, and have gone else where'' At the time I thought interesting. In the last 4 weeks, high up on the hills, I have come across 3 different Adders in the bottom of walls that should have been ''else where'' They do make you jump a bit. but not as much as the jogger that Turned up behind me from nowhere and shouted hello.
phil
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Sun May 11, 2014 7:17 pm

Here are a few critters from the last few years

IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0124.jpg (103.51 KiB) Viewed 4447 times

IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0496.jpg (108.14 KiB) Viewed 4447 times

IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg (104.73 KiB) Viewed 4447 times

IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg (88.57 KiB) Viewed 4447 times

And the rarest of critters, A waller in a wall.

IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0414.jpg (38.96 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby david perry » Tue May 13, 2014 6:14 pm

photo.jpg
photo.jpg (143.97 KiB) Viewed 4434 times

Interesting pictures.

Toads seem quite common depending on where I'm walling, the bat is interesting. I was rebuilding a wall over winter on an exposed site and noticed a bat flying close by. I guess it must have come from the wall as there was nothing else for it to have suddenly come out of hibernation. Hope it found another home.

This however, is my best find. Its a primitive fern/cyclad and came from Devonian sandstone. Its around 80,000,000 million years old give or take a year or two. It managed to survive all theose years in the rock, then being quarried, then being used for walling and then dismantling by me. It now occupies our garden after being examined by our local NE Geology Trust.

I've also been lucky enough to discover the odd 'cup marked stones'. These are of unknown purpose and were made by our ancesters some time around the bronze age. Near where I have found them there are quite a few specimens on the moorland.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby phil » Wed May 21, 2014 5:53 pm

We have had more than our fair share of wild life in walls this week. after carefully examining all the bushes etc. for nesting birds, we missed a family of great tits deep in side the wall, and had to rehouse them, (nest and all) into a bird table feature, It took 20 minuets for the parents to get used to visiting their young, in high rise concrete home. Very soon after, out of the wall came baby grass snakes. It made a change from adders, and my mate Andy was more than willing to take my word they were not poisonous. Today we found a nest of rats, all mummified with fur on in a bizarre shape of a fur hat.
looking forwards to our next find.
phil
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion