Getting Started

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Getting Started

Postby Kbuxton84 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:21 am

Hi everyone

I'm interested in getting into dry stone walling and was looking for advice as the best way to get started and any other info you think might be useful?

Thanks
Kbuxton84

Re: Getting Started

Postby Nigel » Thu May 22, 2014 5:42 am

Okay, first things first, can you build dry stone walls?

If you can, I strongly suggest you get along to a local branch meeting or training day and meet some other wallers, chat to them.

Tell us a bit more about where you are with this interest in doing this for a living.

Thanks
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kbuxton84 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 pm

I have done some weekends with a qualified Waller but have no certificates. I work full time in a factory at the minute but prefer being outdoors and would like to learn a trade and I think this is the one that suits me best.

Thanks
Kbuxton84

Postby Nigel » Fri May 23, 2014 11:05 am

Thats a good start then,

You should know whats involved in the day to day part of building a wall, the rest of it is normal everyday business stuff really. Getting yourself known and so on is where it gets tough.

I would recommend some research on the other wallers in the area you want to work, see what you can offer that they cant, see who is qualified and who isnt,

The list can go on and on, good luck, if you want it, you can make it happen.

Nigel.
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby david perry » Sat May 24, 2014 9:02 pm

I'll echo Nigel's wise words.

I too have found it takes a loooooong time to get recognised. Farmers especially pass names around they've used and trust. Two wallers here never advertise and have zero internet presence and one is 'ex directory' too. They both work full time!!

Walling like any other business is a business. It doesn't run itself and you do need some business acumen to get you off the ground! (marketing, pricing, turn over and so on) and as Nigel says, whats different about you? Why should I choose you to build my walls?

Keep trying! If you really do want to work outside and not in a factory you simply must not give in.!!! Little in this world worth having is easy come by.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby LukeOHan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:20 pm

I have after 5 years from starting, just recently printed some business cards, mainly for small repair jobs over weekends.
With the advice youve been given, I can recommend that you take pictures before, during and after. Photo other walls, study all kinds of walling related to subjects such as dry stone wallig btcv book, history and geology. Keep the passion alive and get hands on experience even if youre giving it free to start. Im sure youll get the opportunity, good luck
LukeOHan
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:04 pm

coming into walling has always been sink or swim, competing with wallers is one thing, cowboys another :roll: :roll: your skills and personal feelings hold your future :wink: :wink:
To explain. I have on occasion told a customer, " if you don't like my work don't pay me" and I always offer a 25yr guarantee if they let me do what I feel is right...
If you can wall, each wall advertises itself
This is not an easy road to travel. but ask me sometime about the benefits :wink: :wink:
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby phil » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:43 pm

Well done Kev a nice reply. As many would say, '' Dry Stone Walling is A calling '' I would say join a branch, make your self know. Do the exams. get on the contractors list, By that time you will have put your self in a position, to make the first steps in the game. As I tell my students. Never be afraid to ask questions, you may feel stupid for a minuet. but wiser for life.
phil
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Tristram » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi everyone,

Another hopeful here - sorry to use this thread, just my question is quite similar!
I'm looking to take a short two day beginners course in walling, and I was really hoping that once I had that experience I might be able to provide useful help to a master dry stone waller - is it a realistic aim to start at such a modest level? I'm still looking at doing dry stone walling as a long term job, but I hope to get work through the trade rather than advertising myself, at least to begin with while I gain experience.

Many thanks in advance,
Tristram
Tristram

Postby Nigel » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi Tristram,

Would you be any help to a Master dry stone waller? I would have thought so, but you would have to ask one.

You may find it difficult to find one, I am thinking they will find you.

Do get along to a course, get along to some branch meetings and practice days and get to know some wallers, take it from there. I like your approach though, most come on here asking what vehicle they will need, yours is from a different perspective and thats one point in your direction.

Nigel.
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Discussion