Home training for myself plus others attending

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Home training for myself plus others attending

Postby Pieter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:15 pm

I recently moved to Chesterfield area,Derbyshire into a home surrounded by dry stone walls which we just love. Sadly one or two sections need repair/ rebuild so we wondered if there was some way we could offer our home site as a hands on training site for myself and any others who need to practice or learn the necessary skills?
Please let me know if this scheme would be of interest.
Pieter

Re: Home training for myself plus others attending

Postby Nigel » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:26 am

Hi There and welcome.

Okay, I will leave this to somebody more local just in case there is somebody near you that can help. It may well be a 'no' though as the training sites used by the DSWA are usually assessed for their suitability from a wall, stone and H&S point of view. Its also worth noting that often trainers can often be professional wallers who get paid for running courses, attending a weekend DSWA course can be really good value for money, paying a trainer to come along to you may be more than the cost of attending a course.

Thats not to say its not possible, but like I said, I will leave it for a more local point of view, my local Branch get a lot of offers by home and land owners offering their land and walls as practice sites in the hope they may get something rebuilt for nothing so be careful how you pitch this idea if you want it to happen, so far so good though. Thanks for posting it here.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pieter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:57 am

Hi Nigel
Much appreciate the quick response and understand your points. I would not expect something for nothing in this day and age and happy to discuss financial implications of my original proposal, as you say probably with a trainer based in my location.
I would be pleased to enrol for a course near here if the above does not fly.
Will await any local contact.
Thanks again.
Pieter

Postby Nigel » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Of course, and great, You never know, something might work out just perfect for you.

Good luck.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Discussion