6 years experience and startin to go for certificates

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

6 years experience and startin to go for certificates

Postby DykerDave » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Just want to say hi to all the dykers out there! I,am 28 have been doing dykin for just over 6 years now, and worked all over the borders, i,am currently working with a dyker who has been dyking for over 25 years, and he taught me everything i know, he,s 65 this year, so a think he,ll be starting to think about retiring, thats why i,am going for all my certificates now, thinks its time to do it for myself now!! this is a job i could see me doing till the day i die!! best job ever! Most of our work is farm work, but we do lots of work for a couple of landscape gardeners, and have done lots of big projects for them! i like to go back a couple o months later to see the end product!! amazing.
my goal is to have my own business asap and, want to make my mark in uk, and anywhere else in the world that a can build!! if there is anybody that would like to give any advice, would be very much appreciated!! more info the better!! thanks for taken time to read this! all the best folks! cheers, Dave.
DykerDave

Postby Shirley M Addy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Best thing would be to obtain (via DSWA's website) details of what is required at each stage of the certification. Timing and ability shouldn't be a problem with you for but make sure you're fully aware of what's expected of you. You should be able to do Initial and Intermediate close to each other, but the others need a project and more planning (perhaps one of your jobs). Contact DSWA for dates of exams in your area, and familiarise yourself with the type of stone used at exam venue.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby DykerDave » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks for that shirley! Will start organising things asap! How long have you been dyking?
Me and the auld yin that am working for have been working in this garden for the past 2 weeks, another day or 2 we should be finished! so am taken ma camera tomorrow to take a few pics!! so hopefully a can stick them on here tae let folks see! what started as a wee job, has ended muckle!! you,ll see when a get the photo,s on here!!
O thanks for the site for the BTCV book!!
cheers Dave.
DykerDave

Return to General Discussion