Insurance advice needed

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Insurance advice needed

Postby Dirk62 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:52 am

Hi,

I'm a newly qualified waller and have my first job lined up for later this month. I need to sort out some public liability insurance and have done a few searches on t'interweb. I had heard that you can get it for around 80 quid, but the cheapest policy I have found so far is 124 for 12 months cover. This has a £1m public liability limit, £500 public liability excess, £1,000 tools per person. It also provides cover for Employers Liability, Public and Products liability, Tools and Contract Works.

I'm not sure if this is right kind of policy/cover. What kind of policy/cover does anyone else have and what annual premium do you pay? The above quote was with Towergate Underwriting, what companies do you use?

Any/all advice would be very welcome. Thanks very much.
Dirk62

Re: Insurance advice needed

Postby jerryg » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:51 am

I am with the Post Office, 5 million public liability, cost £97.68

I don't bother with Employers Liability as I am a sole trader, Public and Products liability as I don't provide any products, Tools as all my tools collected together would only add up to about 100 quid and Contract Works as I don't know what this is for.

However this might be cheaper for me as I have been self employed for 27 years and never needed a claim. A new starter will probably be charged more.

Please note also that you should always try as hard as possible to get the cheapest quote possible for public liability as your chances of making a claim is very very low. For me to claim 5 million there would have to be 5mill/98 = 51000 people paying the insurance company to break even of the cost of just 1 maximum claim.
there are about 5 million self employed therefore there are about 100 claims a year for a break even figure, and this is more likely to be about 10 for those greedy insurance companies to make money.

If there any people on here getting a cheaper quote please supply details info so I can change insurance company.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/self-employed-insurance
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:37 am

Also try Axa and Direct line for their Tradesmen insurance, you then get an option to add your trade. Dont narrow your insurance to just walling though, you never know what you might get asked to do.

Nigel.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dirk62 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

Have now got insurance sorted, with the Post Office, 2 million public liability, cost £87 in total (including £15 admin fee).
Dirk62

Postby phil » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:08 am

While we are on the subject. has any one got a good insurance contact for Hired tool insurance.
phil
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion