Drystone walling research

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Drystone walling research

Postby mikehill » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:07 pm

I am currently doing a research project for my masters degree at Newcastle Uni. I am researching into Northumberland National Parks Traditional Boundaries Traditional Skills project. (TBTS). The project is designed to train people the skill of drystone walling.

My research involves finding out how successful the project has been and to find out issues surrounding the walling industry.

I was wondering if anyone could help me? I am keen to speak to any drystone wallers working in Northumberland and anyone who has had work done.

Also more general questions that I need to answer are about payment rates, speed and how much walling can be done by a full time drystone waller in a year.

If anyone is willing to help please let me know.

Thanks

Mike
mikehill

Postby stonewaller » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:21 pm

Afraid I can`t be much help with Northumberland in particular, but you (and anyone else out there) might be able to help me. I`m currently putting together a PhD research proposal to look into standards of dry stone work on publicly funded projects. Desperate for any academic references published or unpublished etc.on anything to do with walling...

Sean
stonewaller
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Drystone walling research

Postby buttonmoon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi Sean, hope the PhD proposal is going well might be a bit late but google scholar http://scholar.google.co.uk/schhp?hl=en is a good place to find recent articles etc. Sites like http://www.jstor.org have back catalogues of journals etc but you may have to subscribe (I had a quick look through my uni access and not much came up, mostly archaeology articles). Good luck with it!
G
buttonmoon

Postby jim scott » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi, I would suggest you contact Donald Gunn,who works and teaches in the Northumberland /Scottish Borders area.
If you check the posts on this site you will find his e mail address.
Jim.
jim scott
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby donald » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi, yes would be delighted to help, have quite a lot of paperwork on this.
Original contact I had with Derek Proudlock, the quality of delivery and retention of trainees within NP area.
Lots of stuff to help you.
Donald.
donald

Postby donald » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Anyone have research on difference of carbon footprint dsw/mortared?
donald

Return to General Discussion