Animal hole in wall

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Animal hole in wall

Postby hanj » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:29 pm

I hope someone can help with this problem.
I have a beautiful dry stone wall on the left of my garden and have noticed since coming back from holiday that something has dug out a hole in the wall from one side to the other (about 75cm wide and about 40cm high) and also dug about 40cm under the wall in another place. We have been here for 5 years and never had a problem before.
What should I do? I really don't want it to fall down but obviously don't have the skills to sort this out myself.
Thanks for youe help.
hanj

Postby stonewaller » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:32 pm

Is it possible for you to post a photo so we can see the exact extent and nature of the problem?

Sean
stonewaller
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby stonedyker@talk21.com » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Check for any hairs caught on the edges of the stone, keep these safe, they might be a vital clue. Is there any reason why something might want to get int/out of the enclosed space? Have any neighbours had this digging? Was your dustbin upset? What part of the world are you writing from?

I await a picture before venturing my opinion.
stonedyker@talk21.com
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby hanj » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Here is a link to some pictures of the hole and wall. I think I over estimated the size of the hole. No hairs around the entrance but there is an old clean bone!? Might not be related.
Dustbins not upset and neighbours not had any problems although not sure how many walls there are like this around us.
To the right of us are 3 other houses with enclosed gardens like ours and to the left half of the wall is the boundary for next doors garden and the other half from the shed onwards (where the hole is) is an old over grown field.
We live in a village outside Bath on the Warminster side.

Thanks again for your help.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/54219754

Hannah
hanj

Postby stonedyker@talk21.com » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:55 pm

Something has got inside the wall, perhaps by digging through from the other side or digging down and coming up inside the wall, it has then pushed its way out.

My thought was badgers, they are stong and stubborn, but is the hole big enough?

Look for fine silver hair around the hole.
stonedyker@talk21.com
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby JimmyMicon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:58 am

leprechauns?

or perhaps these aliens people have been seeing around they UK recently have made a home in your garden?

seriously though, it doesn't look big enough for badgers. maybe a hare/rabbit?

whats that stuck to the stones on the right of picture two? looks like garlic skin? any droppings around?

regards

JM
JimmyMicon
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby stonewaller » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:03 pm

I`d suggest just stuffing the stones back in as best you can, or filling it with a bin liner, just to see if its `active` it could always be a one off use.

Assuming it was a one off then the repair....

Would cost too much to get someone in to repair it properly, they`d have to take a whole section down to do it properly, so you might as well fill it as best you can. It`s unlikely the wall will collapse if the hole is filled to the best of your ability. In the outside chance that it collapses then it will probably only collapse as much as a waller would have to take down so its not going to increae the cost of repair that much.

Just run stones length into the gap as best you can and as tightly as you can, bashing the last few in with a lump hammer. All looks fairly flat which should make it relatively easy.

If you leave it as a hole it will only deteriorate and you might get a catastrophic failure, but walls can be funny things that tyope of stone might form a natural corbelled arch, whcih might stand for a fair while. From what I can see in the phot I`d stick my neck out and say that only one more stone is likely to come out in the short term, then it should all be relatively okay. So don`t panic!

If it is being used regularly you will need to do something, I have some ideas which you might be able to attempt yourself. Just add to this string if the bag/stone whatever, becomes displaced and I`ll make some more suggestions.

Sean
stonewaller
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion