Work placement required!

Public and professional enquiries and services related to walling/dyking.

Work placement required!

Postby Andyman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Im currently studying Dry Stone walling at Craven college, Im 28 Years old
Married with Children, im looking to step into this new career without a backward glance
Im working with a local farmer in Keighley for free to give me some Experience at drystone
walling.

Id be happy to sign on initially at minimum wage for upto 2 years while i learn the craft
Obviously after 2 years id be looking for more. Meanwhile i intend to continue gaining more drystone walling
Qualifications, My level 1 starts April 25th and runs every saturday for 10 weeks, following on from that ill do a
Features based coarse all leading upto master craftsman Hopefully in a few years.

Im commited 100% and would be happy to show this by doing a Wage FREE work trial for 2 weeks
Please contact me and let me know either way

Your sincerely
Andrew Dunbar

Andrew Dunbar
57 Coronation Way
BD22 6PN
01535 212070
andy@andyman.org.uk
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Work placement required!

Postby Carole » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:46 pm

Have you joined your local DSWA branch? It is the mid-lancs branch.
Carole
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Andyman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:51 am

really? i would have thought otley was closer.
I have emailed the otley chairperson to ask about it.
how are these areas broken down, is it the closest center or the closest postcode.or maybe they are broken into groups... anyway thanks for the reply, im off to see if the job centre people will give me a pile of cash for some decent hammers! i wont hold my breath

Andy
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Andyman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:55 am

Just checked the mid lancs location, it is burnley!
thats a real pain in the posterior to get to if the m62 is clogged.

Do i get to pick which i consider local? id go for the otley just seems a tad more yorkshire ;)
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Carole » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:44 am

I think you can join wherever you want. The branch meets are usually monthly in the same place ie. Molly Rigby's in Padiham for mid-lancs. The walling weekends are all over. Some at trawden some near haslingden etc.

Otley will be the same with wherever they go.

The branches have a little area that they cover on a map so no arguments over who is responsible for what I think.
Carole
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Andyman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:39 pm

Im not entirely sure as to the perks of joining any "club" Ive never been a really sociable person.
Im more family orientated than anything. Is it more than just to be sociable?
To be blunt i dont need friends or membership fee's unless it benefits me, Ive got hungry kids that
Dont get full on good intentions know what i meen :)

Anyway i guess im trying to ask whats the point in joining these "clubs" how does it benefit me.

Thanks

Andy
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Carole » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:35 pm

There are working full time waller members who might give you some placements now or later. Also vast experience and training weekends.
Carole
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Andyman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:01 pm

I can get onboard with that.
I Emailed otley yesterday, No reply yet, Is the lancashire one more active?
I suppose everyone new at this is in a rush to just get going and im no exception i just feel as though im not doing enough fast enough to start earning!

Its especially hard going out every day working for free and alone without critique, some of these old stones are so HUGE they just cant be moved by one man even one whose 28 and physically fit! i Dont want to blow my own horn ... yeh ok i do a bit but i was in the army 5 years and im quite a strong lad!

I tried to sign on with some local wallers offering free labour for a learning experience but i guess they dont think its a fair trade as none were interested sadly! i tried to get my unemployed neighbour to start up with me and "practice for free" but he isnt interested some people wont do anything to better themselves, he would rather just sign on forever sadly thats something thats very common in keighley. Which is hopefully one thing i have going for me, im willing to put the effort in.

Anyway sorry for the long post im just soo bored and ... irritated that i cant wall untill i feel tired i hate doing nothing. i had a gardening business last year untill i had a hernia and was in hospital for a few months but that trades just died completely this year no one has any extra money to pay a gardener. my petrol tools are wasting away! and my dole signing dates are comming more regular than ever :)

Andy
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Carole » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Well you need technique to move huge stones especially if you had a hernia. Have you read the BCTV book? That is brill.

I would imagine wallers are nervous of a new person either bringing the standard of the wall down or slowing the waller down.

Your course starts really soon anyway.
I am not sure if mid lancs answer emails fast or if they are any more active than otley. You could try ringing using the branch details on this site?
Carole
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Andyman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:16 pm

ahh technique with the use of pry bars! i guess ill have to practice and invest in more bars the one i have is ridiculously small
on a good note i have asked and the job center has agreed to buy me more tools and work wear any suggestions are welcome i bought a good wallers hammer today 2 and a half pound with a good cutting edge on one side cost was 17.50 im include it in my digicam exploits tommorow !

Any suggestions as to where i can buy tools and workwear and as to what i should actually buy ignore the fererence codes they are for speaks workwear of keighley copied and pasted! i need some good steel/iron poles 6 would be good any idea where to buy them? ive been working today with just line and pin sticking to the contours of the old wall im gapping so it doesnt matter so much but im going to need them soon!

my list is:

FS117 Midweight Safety Rigger boots £23.95
GLO23 Stockinette Glove Stockinette Glove £0.21
GLO44 PVC Knitwrist Gloves - Gents £0.85
GLO6 Canadian Rigger Gloves £0.85
SA8 Safety Spectacles £3.83
HC300 Hard Hats £4.21
Combat Trouser £8.51
TC800 Hi Vis Waterproof Trousers £9.99
TCE01 Hi Vis Waterproof Padded Motorway Coat £19.99
walling hammer 17.50
pins and line 2.50
WRXBDY Wroxham Bodywarmer £11.02
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Andyman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:24 pm

Oh! if anyone knows any farmers with holiday cottages in scotland/ cumbria they want to trade for labour! then my family would love to holiday on the back of my labour lol im sure they would to be sure to be sure! damn them too many kids!
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Carole » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:26 pm

Otley look like a busy branch.

http://www.otleyyorksdalesdswa.org/
Carole
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Andyman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:34 pm

Yes looks like id be just in time for their monthy
Branch Meetings

The Branch hold meetings on the first Tuesday of the month.

thats on thursday, ill try calling instead of relying on the internet i guess alot of these old wallers arent exactly fully digital yet! thanks for pointing that out i was just looking at the last dated news 2008!
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Carole » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:03 pm

What is on thursday?
Carole
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Andyman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Umm Nothing i guess i got tuesday and thursday mixed up looks like their next meeting is april 7th
ahh someone must have hit me with the stupid stick for a minute when i posted that!
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Next

Return to Walling Services Offered/Required