Help please with costs and speed of walling?

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Help please with costs and speed of walling?

Postby DAW » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I am a student with a coursework to complete and in need the help of all you experienced dry stone wallers.

Can you tell me roughly how many metres per day an experienced contractor can build a 100m length dry stone wall and what cost would they charge? I know that there are many varying factors but for now I will assume a reasonable flat surface for a double layer wall, 1.3m high.

My research so far seems to suggest a reasonable rate of £25/m2 and as per a previous posting, this is inclusive of both sides.
For this, am I right in thinking that for a 100m wall at 1.3m high = 130m2 and at £25/m2 = £3250 ??

However, I've no idea if the average build rate is 2m or 20m per day and the rate per man or using 2 men? (or women of course!)

Apologies if I have over simplified my request, but I just need some ball park figures?

Many thanks in advance
DAW

Re: Help please with costs and speed of walling?

Postby Andyman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:47 pm

Well im new here and to walling but from the research i have done + a bit of common sense

your figures look sound, most wallers work for between 25 and 40 a m2... the higher are usually garden walls with nice features such as arches ect which a master craftsman would be required hence the 40m2. But do note that isnt inclusive of materials. Stone can range from 40 to 90 Pounds PER ton (depending on finish type) and its usualy 1 TON per m2. this is what my teacher has been teaching anyway.

Dont take my world as gospel its just what i have learned over the last month. just wanted to make sure you got 1 reply
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Andyman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Oh and i build 3 Meters of field wall per day. these other guys can probably do 4 to 5
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby stonewaller » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:43 pm

DAW had contacted me privately about this I didn`t see the posting til after I`d replied. I pointed out how contentious speed is and referred him to http://forum.dswa.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=110&p=341#p321. I did make some general suggestions and observations but generally I AM NOT GOING THERE AGAIN :evil:

Sean
stonewaller
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby DAW » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Guys

thanks to Andyman and Stonewaller for your replies - Sean, apologies as I posted my note on here, after I emailed you from your website, but before I read your reply.

thanks again guys
DAW

Postby Stoneinspired » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Cost and speed are dependent on what you are building, where you are building it and what you are building it with.

Regional variations in types of stone makes it impossible to say "this is what it costs to build a wall". Like any job you need to look at the terrain, the access to the build site, and how accessible the stone supply is. Building with drystone is more complicated than simply putting stone upon stone, the same way that building a brick wall is not measured just on the sticking of the bricks together.

All of the costs for all of the constituent parts of the process need to be taken into account. So, every job is different and needs to be costed separately.
Stoneinspired
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Andyman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:24 pm

Sorry to hijack this, But nice website stoneinspired! love how its layed out n stuff
Andyman
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Stoneinspired » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Andyman wrote:Sorry to hijack this, But nice website stoneinspired! love how its layed out n stuff

Thanks for the kind words on my web site.
Stoneinspired
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion