Calling from New Zealand - round stones

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Calling from New Zealand - round stones

Postby ADownes » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:41 am

Hi,

an 'Orish friend and I are probably going to build a dry stone arch (a smallish one - lower than head height). Most of the stones in area are very rounded from local river beds. There will be some that are more wedged in overall shape, but just wondering if anyone has any hints for arch building with rounded stones.

cheers
ADownes

Re: Calling from New Zealand - round stones

Postby jerryg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27 pm

I suppose it depends a little on the exact shape of your arch and what surrounds it. I got into the habit years ago of building arched culverts over streams going through walls in places where the only material was round boulders with no lintels. I have a couple of pictures of one on our website. I can't see why you can't make an arch. Just follow the rules for making an arch by fitting a wooden former in place the shape of your arch. Make sure everthing is very tightly built and though the stone is rounded the arch shape will be ok. Just don't pose for photos underneath it when you take the wooden former out in case it doesn't work. :lol: :oops:
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Calling from New Zealand - round stones

Postby ADownes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:25 am

thanks very much, we'll see how we go. Not sure why but most of the pics on your website don't show on my computer (darn) the ones that did looked great! :D
ADownes

Return to General Discussion