Coronavirus

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Coronavirus

Postby Les Maxwell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:23 pm

Being a responsible dry stone waller I adhered to the government’s guidance to stop work and stay at home.

Along with other workers it’s disappointing to see people working on building sites in London. A spokesman for the government states “as long as they stay two metres apart it’s ok”.How they manage to share facilities such as toilets etc is beyond me?

As a working waller in the Yorkshire Dales I am thinking of resuming walling and working on an individual basis rather than working in a pair or part of a group.

I am wondering what other waller views are?
Les Maxwell
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Re: Coronavirus

Postby jerryg » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:23 pm

I am carrying on walling. All my clients are farmers. I class myself as an vital part of my farmers contracting team. I checked with farming websites and it says all agricultural contractors should keep working if safe to d so. I don't know about you but I have worked on my own for many years. I live on my own, I go to work on my own, I meet no-one, I get paid by BACS, I have been working like this for years. I am far less likely to get the virus by continuing to work than I am by remaining close to home. By the way I have not visited a supermarket, used a bus or a train, partied, Bar-B-Qued, or been anywhere near groups of other people since this thing started.

Only yesterday I had a farmer on the phone who has some gaps in her intake wall which need doing asap.

If people are want to complain that I am working on want to argue the toss, then I just refer them back to the 27 Feb 2001 when I had a 2 year order book of work in the Lake District, and on the 28th feb 2001 I had no work and could not do my job for a year. That's the day the Foot and Mouth outbreak started in Cumbria.
I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:45 am

yup, working where I can be away from people only.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby david perry » Sun May 31, 2020 7:11 pm

A bit late in the day I guess, but the virus hasn't stopped me from working.

The advice, guidance from the start said you could work if your work cannot be done from home. I can't build walls or lay hedges from home so I worked. Social distancing has been easy as I work alone.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion