new lichen

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Re: new lichen

Postby jerryg » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:14 pm

david perry wrote:I agree with Jerry.

When I do repairs to sections of walling which has a 'posh' side and a rough side then it is relatively easy to spot the correct fallen stones simply by observing their lichen growth. Perhaps different species grow on different sides?

Either way I'd be interested to see where CarolJane got the information?

Aaaah.....the absolute beautiful satisfaction I get from working with another superlative waller is that we only have 'posh' sides. 8)

What happens if the land changes ownership or usage. ie woodlands can and are cleared for grazing, or someone decides to build a house of the rough side of the wall. Does this mean there is a rebuild needed?

and just to stay on topic

Do you think that the lichen might take offence as being labelled 'rough'? :lol:
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby GregLee » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:02 am

I think you have done some good research, Carol, showing that the coverage of lichen is independent of the aspect in your area. To look at distribution of different species would be a whole lot more research, even in a small area you might get a big variation of species. It's good that you found some use for this forum, if only on a list of references.
Amateur waller, Bathurst NSW Australia
GregLee
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby CarolJane » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi Guys!
sorry it s been so long but i have to let you know i got 76% for my project :D so thanks for all your help, studying long distance can be quite lonely but i felt like you were backing me up!
now I just need to pass the exam in a couple of weeks :|
thanks again
Carol
CarolJane
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby david perry » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Well done CarolJane

Any chance of putting the project online??

BTW I found this a few weeks ago.

http://www.dry-stone-wall-flora.co.uk/
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby CarolJane » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:46 am

Thanks David
i will try after the exam when ive time to suss out how!
CarolJane
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:38 pm

well done and good luck, hopefully that will turn, after your exams, into good work and well done.
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby CarolJane » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi
just want to let you know i passed the exam and module :D
thanks again for everybodys help.
Carol
CarolJane
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby david perry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:12 pm

Good news! Well done :P
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby GregLee » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:16 am

It is a year since my original post so I thought I would update the progress of my lichen. In a word: very slow and erratic. (those who are good at maths will notice that is four words).
Here is the original photo frow a year ago.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qQRD8erQvtI/U1zFgGlxRDI/AAAAAAAABXE/Obo2FuzyzTw/s720/lichen%252024-4-14.jpg

before.jpg
before.jpg (135.38 KiB) Viewed 11615 times

And this is the photo today.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aZrB84gxizE/VUFxqlB7oaI/AAAAAAAABwI/ZqjbEO0cYaM/s628/DSC00197.JPG

after.jpg
after.jpg (117.76 KiB) Viewed 11615 times

Its a pity I can't post the images.

You can see that even though the photos were taken with different cameras, the weathering has changed the appearance of the stone surface quite a bit. Some of the lichen colonies from last year have shrunk or disappeared but some others have grown a bit, though not a huge amount. I think I will eventually get my lichen covered wall but it might take a while. the rainfall for this period was about 700mm against an average of about 650mm so the rainfall was slightly above average, as were temperatures.

Greg
GregLee
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Tue May 12, 2015 6:26 am

Hi Greg,

I have edited your post and added the pictures for you, I hope thats okay, sorry it took me a while.

under the right conditions stuff will grow on walls and it does not take long if the conditions are right.

thanks again for the update and the pics.

Nigel.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tracey B » Tue May 19, 2015 5:35 am

Hi Greg. Thank you very much for posting, the images are genuinely fascinating. I had always heard that lichens grow slowly, but not that slowly!
What do you think has caused such a dramatic change in the stone, even the texture looks different?
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby GregLee » Tue May 19, 2015 5:53 am

Hi Tracy
the pictures were taken with different cameras which exaggerated the difference in the stones. There was a fair bit of difference due to the weathering from the sun and rain. Our hot sun slows the establishment of the lichen colonies but once established they grow a bit quicker.
Greg
GregLee
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jerryg » Thu May 28, 2015 9:27 am

Your post reminds me of one of my visits to Oz. You know that the customs people at the Ozzy airports are very strict, when I filled in the form that says have you been on a farm or are bringing in anything alive I must declare it. Well I got my boots well washed which was nice for them as I hardly ever clean my boots. My accomodation whilst in Oz was at a National Park wardens house in Hawker, SA. I got to know this chap when he did an exchange in the Lakes in 1995. Anyway as a present for him, I took him one of my miniature walls which, as I build them using local stone have face stones that are covered in Cumbria Lichen.

I showed the customs staff what I was declaring and they had a good laugh at my honesty but they thought it was OK to let it go through.

So somewhere in Oz (I lost touch with my mate so am not sure where he lives now) there is a wall covered in Cumbrian lichen, but as the wall is only 6 inches long and 2 inches high it will probably take many years to spread across Oz.

0 curved wall 1.jpg
0 curved wall 1.jpg (58.3 KiB) Viewed 11553 times
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby GregLee » Fri May 29, 2015 4:02 pm

That's a good story Jerry but I doubt if cumbrian lichen would have what it takes to survive in Australia. My ancestors came here somewhat unwillingly 227 years ago and had to be pretty tough to survive. They didn't come from Cambria. You can see how slow the lichen grows here. In Cambria I expect if you lie down too long in a field you would get up with a fair coating of lichen.
Greg
GregLee
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Previous

Return to General Discussion