WELSH HEDGEWALLS?

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Postby Shirley M Addy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:08 pm

It's only too easy to get confused by semantics. Fortunately my case is simple: waller in spring and summer, and hedgelayer in autumn and winter. I'd thought cloddiau as more wall rather than hedge, but I can't see DSWA and HA fighting over it.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby stonewaller » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:50 pm

Specifications are always a problem, on one local authority job they were using the DSWA spec and I told them they were doing it wrong and interpreting it incorrectly. They said something along the lines of `well thats just your interpretation of them`. I pointed out that as I`d written them I suspected that my interpretation was in fact the correct one!

It certainly shut the bloke up, but of course didn`t do any good, basically they were letting the contractor do as he wanted, at the price he`d given because he couldn`t do it my way at that price. Probably given the skill levels of the teams that work on these jobs, at any price.

A booklet on cloddiau has been in the pipeline for years, just not making a lot of progress because as you say anyone who knows anything is long since dead.

Sean
stonewaller
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

An Irish earth/stone ditch

Postby david perry » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:35 pm

This is (I hope!!) a picture of one of our most common boundary features. An stone/earth "ditch" as they are called here. However in ten years this is the only one I've ever seen constructed as it seems to be something of a lost art. This one is four years old and was built by a motley crew of local farmers using a digger to swing the soil and some of the larger stones into place. Most visitors to Ireland of course won't notice them as they quickly become completely covered in vegitation such as Ivy, Ferns, Brambles and so on.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:43 pm

Managed it this time. just to clarify. The above image relates to the previous post. :oops:
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Previous

Return to General Discussion