Lifting large stones

Matters relating to health and safety for working wallers.

Lifting large stones

Postby stonehaven10 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:25 pm

I've been re-building an old sheep fank wall which has meant getting stones up a fair height. I started off using two lengths of angle iron which allowed me to roll/slide the stones up and this has worked fairly well. I've since moved on to using a bamboo tripod with a small block and tackle (rated to 180 kgs) which strides the wall and has worked extremely well right up to placing the coping stones on. I see an aluminium ladder is also mentioned as a good way to get stones up but are there other safe methods for doing this? Thanks.
stonehaven10

Re: Lifting large stones

Postby david perry » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 pm

One or two sturdy poles - fence posts will do, or planks make a nice ramp placed against the wall will enable you to slide or roll a stone either into position and/or high enough to lift safely.

Also:-

Put the stone you wish to lift lengthways along the line of the wall.
Place a large stone under one end.
The another stone under the other end,
Then place a stone under the other end..etc., and repeat until the stone is high enough. This isn't a brilliant method as you may have to use an odd assortment of stone and its a bit precarious. But its better than dointg nothing, if you've no ladder, or poles.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Lifting large stones

Postby stonehaven10 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:03 pm

Thank you David. I get what you mean and I'll give that a go. Best regards. Steve
stonehaven10

Return to Health & Safety