Bed depth

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Bed depth

Postby masonw » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:45 am

Hi ,i'm building a retaining wall out of granite mine rock in california . I was wondering if there was a ratio that I could apply to the bed depth of my face stone.Trying to find my minimum face stone depth at what heigth.Can't seem to find any info. on it.My walls are forty-eight inches tall ,up to 30 inches deep with throughstones at the middle .It's five-hundred feet long.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
masonw

Re: Bed depth

Postby jim scott » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:04 pm

masonw wrote:Hi ,i'm building a retaining wall out of granite mine rock in california . I was wondering if there was a ratio that I could apply to the bed depth of my face stone.Trying to find my minimum face stone depth at what heigth.Can't seem to find any info. on it.My walls are forty-eight inches tall ,up to 30 inches deep with throughstones at the middle .It's five-hundred feet long.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I assume that by bed depth,you mean the length that the buiding stones go into the wall,or dyke, as we call them here in Scotland,ideally the building stones should reach at least halfway through the wall,which in your case will have to be fairly long stones,for in my opinion you are a bit too wide at the base,the normal fomula over here is,the width at the base, at ground level,should be half the total height of the wall ,from ground level, to the top of the cope stones,so if your wall is fortyeight ins tall, it should have a base width, at ground level, of twentyfour ins.

Another tip when laying in your throughbands,I always try to get the longest bands I can and tunnel them into the bank at the back of wall,once in place and lying solid and well bedded down,repack the soil round about the band and pack it in with a 4x4 batten,this gives the wall a lot of stability.

Hope this has been of some help,

Regards,
Jim.
jim scott
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Re: Bed depth

Postby masonw » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks Jim, very helpful. Got the first 100 feet of wall done, only 400 to go ! My wall actually ended up with 30 inch wide footings with the wall 24 inches wide at ground level for all the 48 inch tall sections.My clients love the look of the drystack,said it reminds them of the U.K..There are no shortcuts when it comes to drystack,there is no mortar to use as a crutch.Pure stonework,very satisfying. Seven days at least of rain coming to the Sierra Nevada mountains in California this week. I guess we'll see how good I did with my drainage!
Thanks again,Mason.
masonw

Return to General Discussion