Sheep protection for stone walls

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Sheep protection for stone walls

Postby andy_brown_01 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:53 pm

My parents have a holiday cottage in Scotland and have had a turf topped dry stone wall built along the perimeter (I've tried to attach a photo). The sheep have decided that the grass is greener on the other side of the wall and are busily destroying sections of the wall by scrabbling over it.

stone wall_small.jpg
stone wall_small.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 3100 times

In other places we have seen metal rods with eyelets driven into the middle of the wall and then wires run between these along the top of the wall to provide a deterrent.

I was looking for some advice on making/fitting these rods/wires, or any suggestions as to other ways to deter the sheep without affecting the appearance of the wall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
andy_brown_01

Re: Sheep protection for stone walls

Postby david perry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:41 pm

18" wood or metal stakes can be put into the wall HORIZOINtALLY just below the top - say a foot or so and wire fixed along this in effect making an overhang!!
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:56 pm

You could of course easily get made some metal rods with eyelets yourself for along the top. Each one would need a extra bar at right angles welded on the bottom to give it some stability in place on the top of the stone and covered in turf again.

Take off some turf, place the rods in, put the turf back. Thread wire through eyes.

I doubt they have to be 100% solid. Just being there should deter sheep from 'having a go'
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby George Gunn » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Use a single electric fence wire 2 ft up from the ground on the thin metal posts you get for this. It's unobtrusive and an energiser is about £20, plus a car battery. Very easy to put up too. You don't need many posts, just enough to hold the wire up.
Even if the fence is off for a fair time , the sheep will still keep away.
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion