Some Help Please

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Some Help Please

Postby Johnb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:03 am

We are about to purchase a new build home. In order to provide a level back garden 3-4 feet of soil is to be removed. This will expose soil at the base of a shrub type hedge at the bottom of the garden, 3-4 feet of soil will be exposed.

The builder intends to build a dry stone wall against the base of the hedge to retain the soil. Is their a criteria for this wall, ie width, foundations etc, what should I expect?

Additionally to the side of the plot a neighbouring plot will also be 3-4 higher, there is already a wooden fence on the boundry. Would a dry stone wall below the fence be appropriate to retain the neighbouring gardens soil?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Johnb

Re: Some Help Please

Postby jerryg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Love to answer your question but to do so I need to know where you live because apparently if you live in the USA your revetment wall will have to built completely differently than if you live in the UK, because the natural physics which effects soil over there doesn't seem to work over here (UK).
jerryg
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Johnb » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:20 am

Hi jerry, Uk, Somerset to be precise. Thanks.
Johnb

Postby Nigel » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:13 pm

I don't think there are any Somerset Wallers on this forum, but I do know a few through the SWEDSWA and I might be one of the closer Wallers to you. There are a fair few different types of geology in Somerset, I am working about a mile outside of Frome and am building on greensand, the ground is different up on the Mendips and again on the levels. I don't think you have too much to worry about if you trust your builder, there are a few guides around about sizes of retaining walls, but advise really depends on what you have there and what it is going to be built with. I am sure we are all keen to help, but your question is a bit open ended, I think that's why others here may not have replied sooner.

I hope that kind-of helps,

Nigel.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Discussion