where to start

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

where to start

Postby allstone bob » Thu May 31, 2012 5:15 pm

Can anyone advise me on where to start regarding dswa certification? I was an indentured apprentice bricklayer holding C&G craft and advanced craft. I have been in the trade over 30 years and have carried out a few dry stone repairs and rebuilds but most of my work has been mortar based. On dry stone walls basically I have investigated the wall and followed what was there and although the methods have seemed sound, and the walls are still standing, I know from experience this doesn't mean I was following a competent waller. I would hope my skills would be above the basic certificate but how can I assess what level I should be going for? Hope this doesn't sound too daft for my first post.

Bob
allstone bob

Re: where to start

Postby Tracey B » Thu May 31, 2012 6:25 pm

Welcome Rob. Believe me, no question is too daft on this forum.
Before we go any further, where in the UK are you based?
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby allstone bob » Thu May 31, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks.
I am in North Yorkshire in the Leeds area.
allstone bob

Postby Nigel » Thu May 31, 2012 8:43 pm

allstone bob wrote:Thanks.
I am in North Yorkshire in the Leeds area.

I am Sure Tracy will point you in the right direction, Welcome along by the way and good luck with certification.

Nigel.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tracey B » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:32 am

Well even though you have done some walling it might be best to attend a training weeeknd. If you are not prepared to do that join your nearest Branch (which also happens to be mine) and get involved in some practise days with the other members, they are a very friendly and approachable bunch.
Otley and Yorkshire Dales Branch, contact details available from the dropdown menu on the homepage of the main website. There is a link to our own website where you can find training weekend dates. Or just come along to one of our monthly meetings, first Tuesday of each month, and network a little.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby allstone bob » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks Tracy. A training weekend sounds good (you never stop learning) and so does joining a local branch.
This is something I wish to pursue professionally especially the more artistic side which I've seen examples of in gardens. Any other help and advice that anyone can give me would be appreciated (thanks for the welcome, Nigel), because although I've 30 years' mortar-based experience, lots of it with different types of stone, I'd like to approach this different technique with a bit of a blank canvas attitude.
Thanks again
Rob
allstone bob

Return to General Discussion