Buying Short Course for Gift

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Buying Short Course for Gift

Postby dollydaydream » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and have registered for some advice. My husband's birthday is coming up and I would like to get him on a short (2 day) stone walling course as a gift, and see where it goes from there. We're based in West Yorkshire. I have had one reply from a lovely fellow in the Barnsley area and the course seems ideal - on a weekend, basic info. I just have no idea what I need to be looking for in a trainer, if anything :? The prettier the location the better too..I'm not very well travelled and so am a bit stuck on that as well :oops:

I am on a really tight budget but am pushing the boat out as it's a special (50th!) birthday and so I feel under pressure to get it right! And so I thought impartial advice before I commit myself to the first course I've come across without shopping around would be the best option. (Typical Yorkshire, I know,..!)

Is there anything in particular I ought to look for or any questions I should ask, please?

Many thanks in advance for any help that anyone may be able to offer,

Regards

Dolly
dollydaydream

Re: Buying Short Course for Gift

Postby Shirley M Addy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:29 pm

Have you looked on the Otley & Yorkshire Dales branch's website? Go to www.otleyyorksdalesdswa.org for more info on their gift certificate for a course.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby dollydaydream » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:33 am

Hi Shirley :D

Thanks, I'll email them and ask for some info. I hate to ask, but is there anywhere/anything/(anyone? :? ) I need to avoid/look for in particular in an organisation? Or any trainers in particular who are absolutely fantasic and worth holding out for?

Again, I'm sure most of the folk out there are great but it's a completely new area for me. My husband is a self employed trainer (completely different type) and he knows a few dodgy ones in his line of work :(

Thanks again! :)

Lucy
dollydaydream

Postby Shirley M Addy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am

As long as the trainers are DSWA-qualified, which is the case in courses held by DSWA branches, you'll be fine. Have a good look at the DSWA's website, especially the leaflets you can download.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Do many areas do "gift courses"??? Its a great idea, for someone interested to dip their feet( beats Skydiving, who wants to jump out of a perfectly good plane???) For my 40th I got a Bike licence ( I'm still buzzing :wink: ) perhaps for my 50th I should plan for a Masters in walling, you never know till you try :wink: :wink:
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:26 pm

waller 69 wrote:Do many areas do "gift courses"???

Not sure, I know the SWE Branch do.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby david perry » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Most of the branches offering courses would have them run by an experienced/qualified instructor.
Unlike many subjects walling courses are largely practical so it is rather difficult to make a course run badly - unless the instructor spent two days' lecturing - which even the most stupid incapable instructor wouldnt do.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby dollydaydream » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:56 am

I had looked into booking him a flying lesson initially (panic buying), but when I looked into it further I figured it'd be a pointless exercise. We will never afford a plane, I have anxiety stuff going on and would probably lose 10 years from my life if he did it, and he has never actually said he'd ilke to do it! :lol: He used to be in the RAF and I sort of figured he might have an interest, but when I opened my big gob and told him (rubbish with secrets) he said it would be a waste of money.

We're hoping to move house (if we ever manage to sell ours..) and we will always have a house where a dry stone wall would fit in somewhere..we both hate the look of fences and love the idea of having walls instead. And so it's sort of a good idea for both of us that he does it! Gets him out in lovely scenery and away from the stress of the daily grind (and our 5 and 7 year olds..) too. I have a feeling that my Dad going with him will be the best thing he ever did - I sense that my Dad will end up with a hobby for when he retires next year. (I know my Mum hopes so!)

I have picked my man anyway, I best get the tickets! :D

Thanks again!

ps it's a secret so far - he keeps telling me to shurrup when I ask him to try and guess!
dollydaydream

Return to General Discussion