Preservation

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Preservation

Postby Quoich » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm responsible for the maintenance of 400metres of 1.5 metre high retaining wall with a verge to the road of 30 centimeters.
The wall is over 100 years old but is in good condition. Developers will be building 400 houses opposite, this will increase the traffic substantially especially HGV lorries. What can I do to prevent damage. I thought pointing with lime mortar?
Quoich
Quoich

Re: Preservation

Postby Nigel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Thais a really good question, I don't know the answer but would like to know a bit more as this might help some of the other members here come up with some ideas or share their knowledge.

What area is the wall, is it a Cotswold wall or from another area? also, what is it built on? is it green sand for example?

I think I would be tempted to take some measurements now and as time goes on to monitor any movement.

Nigel.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tracey B » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Being an established wall it might be an option just to take off the copes and replace them on a bed of mortar, this should help to reduce the trauma caused by the proximity of vibrations from heavy traffic. An exercise in damage limitation, but worth a try.
It might help if you were able to post an image for us. Hopefully we can dissuade you from pointing up the entire structure which will 1) take you ages 2) do little to help in the long term as the mortar cannot penetrate to the heart of the wall 3) look horrible!
Good luck.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby jim scott » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Leave it as is,drystone is very good at coping with vibration,not mortar.
Jim.
jim scott
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby George Gunn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:57 am

There will be some movement with the vibration. A dry cope is, as Jim says,better than a rigid mortared coping that cannot move with the wall. If the wall moves 1mm away from the rigid coping there's then no weight on the top building stone in the wall , which will fall out with the frost. That's the start of a gap.

The only way to mortar a coping on is to use natural lime mortar and leave joints every 400mm so the mortared copings act like they're on cover bands ( flat plates of stone under the coping ).
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Tracey B » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:40 am

Fair points from Jim and George. But as the wall is well established and in no need of further settlement, presumably any further movement might be detrimental to the structure? A mortared cope will always be less than ideal, but in certain situations is it not sometimes worth considering? Is it only urban myth which dictates that traffic vibrations can dislodge the cope?
Last edited by Tracey B on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby George Gunn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:34 am

Quioch - I'd make sure the copings are pinned in place then keep an eye on it . You might be lucky !!! :-)
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Quoich » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:22 pm

Thank you all, will leave well alone. Will come back to you if it all goes wrong.
Quoich
Quoich

Postby stonedyker@talk21.com » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:22 pm

The builders will traumatise the wall and they will try to get out of any obligations to repair it.

The wall could get really clarty and suffer impact damage.

Think about draping hessian over the wall with that plastic orange hazard mesh in front and posts along the verge to stop HGVs chewing their way off the tarmac. I'm assuming it is not too long a stretch, pics would have helped.

If there are ditches or manholes have them recorded in their current state, also take a digital record of the wall as it is. Have a dscussion with the clerk of works and make sure he/she knows that you know what the state of repair is and that he/she will have to fork out for any damage.

Once they are off site the builders won't give a jot for anything they leave behind.

if all goes well you will take off the cover when the builders have gone and have a nice clean wall, a good advert for drystone, a definite 'must' for all those new homes.
stonedyker@talk21.com
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby George Gunn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Good advice DS21.
George Gunn
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Return to General Discussion