Rockin Walls Blog - Bill Noble Video How to Segmental Arch

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Rockin Walls Blog - Bill Noble Video How to Segmental Arch

Postby RockinWalls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:27 am

Hello Wallers!
My name is Mark Jurus I live in the USA. I was encouraged to introduce myself by a UK expert. I started a few blogs to help promote the craft. I had an amazing opportunity to meet and work with several top wallers in Canada last year at the StoneWURX put on by Dean McLellan. A once in a life time opertunity to be around some of the best wallers of my time. Master Craftsman DSWA Andrew Loudon UK, Bill Noble UK, Philip Dolphin UK, Stephen Harrison UK, Advanced DSWA - Tracey Blackwell UK, Jared Flynn VT USA & DSC Journeyman, Chuck Eblacker NY USA just to name a few!

I also had the opportunity to film:
Andrew Loudon, Bill Noble, Philip Dolphin, Stephen Harrison, and Tracey Blackwell. With each and everyone understanding my mission. They all contributed to my efforts to help spread the good word of stone. In due time I will have these up on my YouTube channel to share with the world. Thank you guys/and gals!

I love learning from others. We all have so much to share. Please take time to see the blog/websites/YouTube I've started.

Feel free to contact me with any feedback, topics, photos. Help me spread the word. I have to say those of you in the UK are blessed to have so much history in your back yard. The biggest battler I have to fight is ignorance. If you don't use mortar it can't last?! Good old American's they just don't know any better because unless you live in Kentucky or parts of New England you just don't have any idea what Dry laid stone means except some 1 foot garden wall that a landscape company built all wrong. Giving the craft a bad name.

See my newest video with Bill Noble. Showing me just how easy it is to build a segmental arch the easy way. Thank's Bill that was easy!

http://www.rockinwalls.com/2013/04/vide ... h-for.html

-----------------------------------
Mark Jurus
Specializing in the Craft of Dry Laid Stone Construction!

Certified:
Level 1 Dry Stone Mason, DSC - Dry Stone Conservancy USA.
Level 2 Intermediate DSWA - Dry Stone Walling Association of Great Britain

Certified by ICPI 2007 (Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute)

BFA - Visual Communication Graphic Design MICA – Maryland Institute College of Art

. blog . web .
http://www.Rockinwalls.com

. industry . blog . web .
http://www.DryStoneResource.com

. YouTube Channel .
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkJurus?blend=1&ob=0

baker awards . promoting maryland artist .
http://www.bakerartistawards.org/nomina ... ockinWalls

443-291-9388
Hampstead Maryland
Mark Jurus - Rockin Walls

Certified: DSC USA. DSWA UK

www.Rockinwalls.com
www.DryStoneResource.com
www.youtube.com/user/MarkJurus?blend=1&ob=0
RockinWalls

Re: Rockin Walls Blog - Bill Noble Video How to Segmental Ar

Postby Tracey B » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Mark, it is so great to see you here, a breath of fresh air with your massive enthusiasm for, and commitment to, the craft.
Thank you for posting, this video of Bill is a treasure. Have a good summer and happy walling. T
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Welcome Mark, and many thanks, as a first post this could take some beating....
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Ditto, welcome along and thanks, I don't have time tonight but will look at your links over the weekend.

Nige'
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby RockinWalls » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:14 am

Thank you all. I have spent a little time reading some of the posts from Nigel, Waller 69. As Tracey will admit before she meet me we spent a great deal of time chatting on the back end via email. On some of the other Forums - I came off as a loose cannon! Tracey has helped me understand the walling world via UK helping me understand how things work. I had a great time working with Tracey in Canada. Every one got to see my true colors hard at work. So just a heads up. I'm extremely motivated to promote the craft. A strong awareness makes for smart choices by consumers when choosing a certified or trained waller.

Waller 69/Nigel wait till you see everything else I've done!

Thank you Tracey for helping me understand the wonderful world of walling. Just to tell everyone It was so great to see Tracey working with the college and high school students at the StoneWurx event. Having a women in the craft to promote it is so powerful. The boys would be goofing off like boys do. The younger women really respected Tracey as they practiced the craft and build some quality walls. Then when the workshops happened on the weekend - then same was true with the men and women. Tracey thank you for leading the way for others! Also thank you for the time you give to the DSWA.

I look forward to learn from all of you. I have a long way to go but watch out I'm on the express train!!!
Thank you for the harm welcome.

www.Rockinwalls.com
www.DryStoneResource.com
RockinWalls

Postby waller 69 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:49 pm

New stuff just in, ds bridge.....couple of questions for all, when does a waller become a mason and when should a mason learn to wall???
Last edited by waller 69 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby RockinWalls » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:13 am

Waller 69, Thats a very good question?
But I have a better one. In the USA I see on so many wet mason's or landscape company's stating that they have Mastercraftsman or trained under one!!!. The title seems to be something they just feel they can a-sign to them selves. I get a good laugh because I'm far from even being level 3. I even took some time to contact some of the biggest landscape company's in my area to offer to meet with their mason teams to show them skills I have learned. One company told me they had walls that have been standing for 47 years. (I'm thinking ya get back to me on that after 200) Then he went on to say stop by and drop off my resume and photos. I said I'm not look for a job. I just want to help save you money on all the extra excavating, Aggregate on the back of walls and base plus the GeoGrid fabric. But what do I know - I own a Motorscooter shop selling Vespa scooters. I just play with stones for FUN!
Never worked with ONE Mastercraftsman.
MEN!

So when does one become a mason?

www.Rockinwalls.com
www.DryStoneResource.com
RockinWalls

Postby Tracey B » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Well Kev, "when does a waller become a mason and when should a mason learn to wall???" Two big, relevant and quite separate issues to address there.

The first one is very hot to handle. Controversially, perhaps, at the point when the stone is worked alot, or even in a dry stone context, 'overworked'.

The second is easier...in an ideal world, (IMO) every mason would learn the principles of dry stone early on. Then their mortar can provide a viable aid in the process of achieving structural integrity, rather than just being a powerful adhesive, relied on to prop up potentially poor stone work and stick everything together in the short term.
It totally worked for me to learn dry stone techniques before I ever learned to build with mortar. (Like reading a book before you watch the film, and not the other way around?!)

Good questions. What do you think Waller 69?
Last edited by Tracey B on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Tracey B » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Absolutely yes Mark. Re: "I just want to help save you money on all the extra excavating, Aggregate on the back of walls and base plus the GeoGrid fabric."
Why plunder the Earth's resources using all that stuff in situations where dry stone is a perfectly adequate, green, attractive, structural and long term solution?
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:27 pm

When I lived in Ireland you were called a 'stone mason' if you could build stone using cement based mortars. None of these would be able to cut or carve stone. No qualifications needed.

But all the qualified stone masons like we get in the UK, who can carve and cut stone, could - and the few I met did - build drystone walls aswell.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Sorry Mark I seem to have Hyjacked your most interesting topic :oops: (if anyone wishes to move me to new topic feel free).
As far has trying to save people money, I try but it is very frustrating, I was once employed by a landscaping company because, in the main, I can wall, they only did fake walls, so after building a couple I confronted the gaffer with I guess the same information you have, we fell out so I left....some people you cannot help, they just know it all
Kev
Last edited by waller 69 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:53 pm

As for when does a waller become a mason....
I consider myself to be a waller first as I work with the stone, however some of the features I have to build require so much dressing of the stone that I no longer work with the stone but instead shape it to fit a preconcieved design and at that time I am a mason(ish)
I have never worked with a Master either, met a few experts though :lol: :lol: :lol:
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby RockinWalls » Wed May 01, 2013 1:56 am

Waller 69,
Your right about the landscape folks. Sad really! But when I had told my buddy Jared at Stone Trust. He said the same thing. Those who want to learn the craft will seek it out. The others don't waste your time. So I took his advise.

As for the Jacked topic. I don't think so I like the idea of keeping thoughts flowing in one place at time.

As for the mason topic - I have to say I was heart broken when I read the latest waller and dyker with Andy's topic of no saw cut stones. Thats all I use to shape all my stones. My big 14 inch Stilh gas saw. I didn't know it took talent to find the right side stone by just looking and using your hands to pick it up and place it. ha ha ha........

In the States the term mason as to what I'm use to hearing is only a wet mason. I like the clarity of someone who shapes stones. That makes sense. Great to learn from you Brits! Keep it coming.

www.Rockinwalls.com
www.DryStoneResource.com
RockinWalls

Return to General Discussion