Sun Protection

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Sun Protection

Postby GreenBean » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:22 pm

What do people use/do to protect themselves from sun burn etc?

Last summer spent a lot of time trying different brands however they all dripped off as soon as I started working (plus they dont taste too nice). During this process I managed to burn myself (very badly) to the point that a patch the size of my hand blistered.

I do the normal wear T shirt and trousers (shorts when its far too hot), and wear a hat.

Asking as all this fine sun were getting at the moment has already started taking its toll!
GreenBean

Re: Sun Protection

Postby Nigel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Just the British weather is enough usually.

On the few weeks a year when we get some sun I just put the highest factor on in the morning, practice can get your hands to the whole of your back for later in the day, but you need to make sure you can do it first of course. I also ask for help, somebody will help rather than see you suffer.

I wear a sun hat as well, your head can get hot but its better than sun stroke. I also take a leaf out of the workers in the Med if its really hot and the work is close to home, I start at stupid o'clock and knock off for a long lunch, perhaps have a snooze and back to it after the heat of the day has gone. I guess its like the rest of the weather, we have to work around it and I appreciate not all of these things will work for everybody all of the time.

Lets hope its a problem we have to deal with other than a thread about trench foot.

Nige'
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby GregLee » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:06 am

I wear a shirt with long sleeves and a collar I can turn up. In summer I don't work in the heat of the day - start work early. Not much fun when sweat is dripping into my eyes.
Amateur waller, Bathurst NSW Australia
GregLee
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby GregLee » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:40 pm

Forgot to say I always wear a broad-brimmed hat outside, with a big sweat stain around the band.
Amateur waller, Bathurst NSW Australia
GregLee
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby david perry » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:36 pm

A hat. But not just any old hat. On a hot sunny day you can't beat an old straw hat. Nothing fancy required. Just a cheepo one for £5 bought some years ago from one of the shops selling such items down near our beach. Getting a bit battered now but cool and pleasant to wear.
I just like stone!!

Click the globe in the bottom right corner to see my blogg
david perry
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Shirley M Addy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:46 am

Nigel, I hope you really don't wall topless as you imply from the need to rub in sun lotion on your back. It's a mystery why blokes do this as the consequences can be unpleasant or even dire.
How about having an early start to the day so you can clock off at siesta time? Though in the British weather, we need a crystal ball to accurately whether or not the sun's coming out!
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Just plenty of factor 50 during the day and yes, as per my previous post.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Shirley M Addy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:25 am

Well, you still need to reapply lotion several times and even you'd not necessarily get full protection from skin cancer.
Shirley M Addy
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby moorCCG » Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 pm

In addition to covering up I find these useful...

Riemann P20 SPF50 (good water resistance & quick drying due to alcohol suspension)

Delph SPF30 or 50 (great for sensitive skin types)

Both are available on amazon, I think Riemann P20 is also in most Boots.
moorCCG

Postby Les Maxwell » Sat May 10, 2014 1:56 pm

One of the most important points is to wear the correct clothing that has built in sun protection.

Buy some long sleeve shirts from one of the outdoor clothing shops such as "Rohan" that have a sun protection level of UPF 20 or UPF 40. They are not cheap but buy them in their sale or end of line stock.

Also buy a wide brimmed hat again with built in sun protection such as the "Tilly" hat as they block 98% of harmful UVA/UVB and deliver an ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) of 50% again not cheap at £50.

Outdoor workers are at considerable risk from skin cancer so chuck out those tee shirts and straw hats and buy something that will protect you; after all you only have one life.

Les
Les Maxwell
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Return to General Discussion