Rejoining DSWA

For discussing walling related subjects not included in other headings.

Rejoining DSWA

Postby SteveB » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi, my membership lapsed a few years ago when I stopped walling for a while. I was on the professional register but only had level 1 cert.
I'm back walling more or less full time now and think it would be better for me to renew membership.
How do I re-apply?
Do I need level 2 to go back on pro register?

I do not plan to take any more certs. as I don't feel the need. I'm happy with the standard of my work and don't really need the DSWA membership in order to get more work, but feel I should be part of the 'association'.

Steve.
SteveB
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Re: Rejoining DSWA

Postby Tracey B » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:58 am

Hi Steve
You can rejoin immediately from this, the DSWA website. Access 'Membership' from the 'About Us' option which is in the menu on the left hand side of the home page.
Professional members are included at Initial level on the register, but you will obviously have to pay the Pro rate of membership which costs more. I get quite alot of enquiries through that so it is well worth while IMO.
I would urge you to reconsider your decision not to have a crack at the Intermediate cert at some stage however. No matter how good you are there is always more to learn from the examiners about your own technique when walling to their criteria.
Welcome back.
Tracey B
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby SteveB » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks Tracy I'll get that sorted.
As for the level 2, I know there's always plenty to learn (I'm learning bits from colleagues all the time - and I hope vice versa), but at 61 I'm winding down a bit and don't need the stress of a test and the like.
Thaks again.
Steve.
SteveB
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby SteveB » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:35 pm

Having had a good old look through these pages and the professional register etc. I am leaning towards going for the 'open' membership option. My main reason for rejoining is not to gain more work, it just makes sense for me to be part of the association that encourages the craft I'm passionate about. And looking at the pro register I think it would be unlikely that anyone would contact a waller with just level one when the indication is that they have the ability to build gaps.

I am trying to develop more local (garden wall) work - so I can cut down on the 'commercial' work a bit - and find that local advertising and facebook are starting to get things moving in that direction.
Steve.
SteveB
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby waller 69 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Steve, I have been an open member here for a couple of years, mainly to put a little back into something I love and I feel its good to help the dswa...
you are one up on me as I have done none of the tests, learned my wallin' at the "school of hard knocks" and have never had to look hard for work...
all the best...
Kev
waller 69 aka Kev Blackwell
waller 69
Active Subscriber
Active Subscriber

Postby SteveB » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:36 pm

OK I am now a member once more :)
Decided to become a professional member after all, mainly because I've had a pretty good year this year so at least I can offset it against my tax :wink:
Sorry if this makes me sound like a tight Yorkshire man --- hang on no I'm not.

Steve.
SteveB
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby SteveB » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:40 pm

By the way.... what happens now?
I joined/paid online - didn't fill in any forms re working areas, qualifications etc.
SteveB
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby SteveB » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Still not heard a thing from DSWA to confirm my membership..... paid online by paypal which went out of my A/C a month ago and despite emailing them have not had a reply yet. Can anyone on here try and help me get a response?
Please.
Steve.
SteveB
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Steve,

I will ask.

Its a fairly manual process I think and what with one thing and another it may not be easy to answer each email promptly. I know in a perfect world it should be.... If the DSWA has your payment it should not be an issue.

I will see if I can get an answer for you, can you pm me with your details? (dont post them here).

Can you hang on a bit more?

Nigel.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SteveB » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Forgot to say - Thanks Nigel for your help in this.
All sorted, on register and membership card etc arrived in post yesterday.

Steve.
SteveB
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Postby Nigel » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:10 pm

You are welcome although I didnt end up doing anything as your membership came through before I had a chance. I have upgraded you accordingly.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Nigel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SteveB » Fri May 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Just a little feedback on this subject. Pleased to say it was a good move re-joining, just landed a very nice local job through the register. Result.

Steve.
SteveB
Regular Subscriber
Regular Subscriber

Return to General Discussion